KCBS -- how do you think box layouts will change?

Alexa RnQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoe
Once upon a time, such inviolable staples as parsley boxes, pillow chicken and pork medallions weren't used -- unimaginable, isn't it? :p

I've heard comments more than once about the "eerie similarity" of top entries now -- no doubt in part because of high-level classes. But when the eerie similarity reaches the point of cookie-cutter uniformity, in what direction will we turn to make our entries stand out? How many ways can you make a rib look appetizing? Where are the boundaries of "marking"?

So what do you think the "next trend" might be? -- and the first one to say "cupcake" or "muffin" gets smacked! :twisted:

I've vowed not to buy parsley next year. I'll use another green, but I'm not making putting greens. I'm sick of chicken thighs, I'm working on wings, legs and wishbones (after all every contest is a "wish"!). I want to master baby back ribs. Find a better supplier for briskets. Who knows about trends? I'm going to judge some next year, starting with the $100g contest in NLR. I think trends are started by what works with judges.

Great topic idea - I'll have to give it some thought to provide a real answer.

I do agree with Zilla that the process seems backwards right now. (EDIT umm, where did he go?)

If I had to guess, I'll say somebody will do something wildly different and succesful with poultry in terms of different pieces being presented.

Chicken *with a terminal case of smoke in an ungarnished box ala Paul the "best" chef in Texas.

*credit to Divemaster for the description

I probably don't know what I am talking about, but I would say that quality meat will be the difference in 2010. I have hear a lot about producers cutting back the number of animals they raise and getting to market as soon as possible. So the teams that don't have warehouse membership may be forced to get smaller cuts with a little less quality.

I think one of the most visually appealing entries I saw while surfing this last season was lollipop chicken. It was on the Pickled Pig website. Although, they didn't win with it, I thought it was a great presentation and looked more inviting to me as compared to cookie-cutter thighs. I hope they continue to try to perfect that entry.

Unfortunately, when you're competing, you're less likely to try a radically different approach. I learned that my first comp when I entered a chipotle-garlic rubbed brisket. Tasted great, but did not fit the "flavor profile" the judges were looking for and I finished D.A.L. in that category. Too much heat, not enough sweet. So, like a lemming I followed the crowd so I could improve my scores...which I did. :wink:

Great topic.

QUAU has won with the lollipop chicken for ages (they originated it) - I think anything is possible... :) maybe we'll have a resurgence of old presentations --lettuce beds, leaf cups, etc.... I have some pics of 15 yr old HoDeDo boxes that could come back. I wonder where those slides are.... dad always took slide flim, not print lol

We plan to increase our site decorations next year and hopefully repeat for best decorated lot in Sayville again.

I was just about to type "We haven't been able to been able to figure out how to incorporate parsely into our site decoration yet" but I think that I just did!

And we plan on trying to get our first BBQ call next year, maybe using my son's idea for chicken.

Maybe next year we'll turn in our best stuff instead of enjoying it ourselves and turning in the leftovers.

As a KCBS judge now (1 1/2 years at 16 competitions), I welcome the day when I see something other than thighs on the parsley bed. And I don't need the candy glaze on many of the entries. I want originality + taste.

I'm with Rod - quality meats, especially brisket. But my assumption is that it will be more a result of Pitmasters than with sources of meat. Teams would almost be foolish not to take the step up to Waygu if they want to have an edge. I probably won't, but I'm not quite as committed as those who put real money into their season. If enough teams start using Waygu, and use it well, then I think that would force a change. I have eaten Waygu brisket only once but for my money there is no doubt that it is a better, more flavorful tasting product.

I also wonder how much longer Blues Hog will reign supreme. It has to get old for judges and I bet many would appreciate some diversity when it comes to sauce.

Chicken will switch from thighs to breast meat only
Brisket will be pulled instead of slice
Ribs will be boneless
Pork will made in muffin pans

hmmmm muffin pan pork, now that has some possiblities, gotta find something to do with all these pans I bought!:lol:

Reverse grill marks!

IMG_1114.jpg

I welcome the day when I see something other than thighs on the parsley bed. And I don't need the candy glaze on many of the entries. I want originality + taste.

DITTO!!! I would much rather taste the meat than the sauce.

Cupcake! Cupcake! Cupcake! Cupcake! Cupcake!

I just want smacked by DivaHerself. Grrrrr...

Back