Redeye Pork and Beans & Roundup Biscuits

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well my freezer is still full of meat, left over from comps and practices and I gotta make a little room for the anticipated holiday left overs. So bit by bit I am emptying the freezer. Here is this week's concoction, I call it Redeye Pork and Beans with Roundup Biscuits. I usually use make Beef and Beans but I have so much butt in the freezer I decided to use the pork.

About 1 1/2 lbs of butt, tossed with 1 cup of sauteed chopped onion and 6 slices of bacon in the old Lodge Dutch Oven.

Picture_00.jpg

3 fifteen ounce cans of beans, (use your favorite 3 types) 1 can tomato paste, 3 tablespoons of you favorite brown sugar based rub, 1 tablespoon of your favorite non sugar based rub. I use my own recipes for both. A TBS or so of course ground mustard, 2 TBS of Worcestershire Sauce. 1 1/4 cups of room temperature coffee blended with a couple of TBS of flour, salt, pepper (hence the Redeye), stir and simmer for about 15 minutes on the cook top while you make the biscuits.

Picture_02.jpg

3 cups baking mix, I use Buttermilk Pioneer, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup milk mix till it forms a ball, I usually have to add additional mix about 1/4 cup to get a nice ball formed, turn out on a well floured surface, knead several times and roll out to about a 12x15 rectangle, add some cheese and 10 or so slices of pan cooked bacon and roll up and slice up.

Picture_03.jpg

Place biscuits on the top of the pork and beans and bake about 20 minuted in a 400 oven.

Picture_05.jpg

Do not however place a plastic cutting board on a hot burner. This is the reason why.

Picture_04.jpg
Picture_06.jpg
Picture_07.jpg

How many more pans, boards and equipment can I destroy this year?

Here she is out of the oven.

Picture_08.jpg

And all served up.

Picture_09.jpg

Turned out really well and will be eating it throughout the weekend. I still have a 12 lb butt in the freezer from my last comp. Any ideas or good recipes for that would be greatly appreciated.

Oh boy..That looks fantastic!!! I have some leftover pulled pork in the frige right now so It looks like im making some pork and beans tonight.

Thanks for the idea!

Oh boy..That looks fantastic!!! I have some leftover pulled pork in the frige right now so It looks like im making some pork and beans tonight.

Thanks for the idea!

No reason why pork and beans can't be a meal instead of a side!

Just remember turn off your burner before you place a cutting board on it.

That looks absolutely fantastic!!! Great idea.

Oh and I have that almost identical cutting board with an almost identical burner mark on it!

Oh and I have that almost identical cutting board with an almost identical burner mark on it!

If we lived closer I would suggest we form a tean and we call ourselves ....
wait for it ....
"Kitchen Klutzes"

HOLY SMOKES!!! That's freaking incredible. I'd hit that all weekend too!! Nicely done!

Comfort food for sure! Thanks for sharing. Top of my list for suggestions is pulled pork enchiladas.

Paul

Jeep & Bob,
Thanks for the compliments.
Milehigh,
Hmmmm ... should I do them in a verde sauce or red? Got a recipe to share?
Paul,
I'll bring ya some next time I head down to New Smyrna Beach. Course I'll have to charge ya for delivery.

Redheart that looks fantastic! Love your bacon biscuits too.:cool:

Man that looks good! And the well used dutch oven makes it look perfect. Now if only you could get rid of the plastic smell LOL

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals! But I am still looking for ideas to use up a 12lb butt still in the freezer after cooking a comp a couple of weeks ago.

Back