MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Duck Fat/Muscovy Duck

One thing on my to do list for this spring is to buy some Muscovy Ducks. I was wondering if any of the Brethrens has ever ate one? According to the article they have less fat than a regular duck and very easy to raise. Also next question has any one ever use duck fat to cook/fry with suppose to have lot better taste than lard. Any information is welcome.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Damar12
Knows what a fatty is.

Never ate one, but they sure are ulgy. An oyster is ugly, so give it a shot. I love oysters.
Damar12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
jestridge

true lol

Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I love Duck. Have not had that type as far as I know. My son used the Duck Fat to cook collard greens and that was awesome. Go for it
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
cvan
On the road to being a farker

I have a friend down in Cajun country. He says to breed a tame mallard over muscovy hens the result are called mulies. He says they are the best I haven't tried it yet but have spoken with a few Cajuns and they all have backed him up on it.
I am going to try it some day. Right now I have to eat all of the wild duck in my freezer Lots of Woodys and Mallards it was a wonderful season this year.
cvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

We cooked Muscovy breasts at MIM in '06 but we bought it online and had it shipped to our hotel in Memphis. I don't know what it would take to breed/keep them. Good luck with that.
I think the breasts took 20th or something out of 100 in the exotic poultry category.
Good Eats, fer sure, but be aware that even tho they are less fatty, it still takes a lot to get that fat rendered out and it took Gary a long time to get all the little pinfeathers (?) off too. Here is a coupla pics - you can still see the thickness of the fat right along the top even with the crispy skin... really yummy though, and we ate it many times for practice before we turned it in. I'd like to know how they turn out for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02108.jpg (43.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02117.jpg (60.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02124.jpg (65.7 KB, 50 views)
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
jestridge

Now that really looks good. I shouldnt have any trouble raiseing them. I should be able to pick up a pair around here for under 20 bucks they suooose to hatch out 3 bunches a year. If I dont like them can always give them away. Have a lot of space so they can free range