Beef Short Ribs

jrick33

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Need some tips on smoking beef short ribs... have always done spares, first time for these and I don't want to ruin them...

Thanks

How are your Short Ribs cut, thin against the bone or the typical thick cut Short Ribs.

To tell the truth, I have never smoked them. But, I would think that slow, 225-250 for three hours, then foil with some mosture for another couple hours. But then again, I am just guessing. I might have to find some Short ribs and try thought.

I never have smoked them either but I have grilled them. They were what you call a "flanken syle" Bone-in short rib. They were cut about 3/4 inch thick and cross cut. Awesome taste!!

Mike Whisante

Typically the thick cut short ribs are braised in some manner and that is why I think the foil will be needed.

I would go with a smoke for the first three hours and then foil with some red wine (for both the ribs and the chef) and some spices or rub to sett the flavor. As far as doneness, I would start checking after an hour or two in the foil. They should be fall off the bone when done.

Good Luck and take some pictures.

Last time I did these I put the seasoned short ribs in my pressure cooker for 25 min. - released pressure and then finished slow in the smoker - turned out excellent.

Dont read this thread on beef ribs.

I actually bought another rack of beef ribs the other day. I am going to fire roast them Brasilian style or as close as I can approximate with my UDS.

The first post was for short ribs, which are a slightly different cut from Beef ribs. Beef Ribs are taken off the rib roast (off the Rib Eye Roast) and I believe the short ribs are cut closer to the Chuck.
The whole or english cut need some time to render out, while the Flanken or Korean cut is typically cooked fast and hot. I like both styles of the Short Ribs, but they are different than Beef Ribs.

When I cook beef ribs, 4 racks of 4 ribs each bought at Rest. Depot, I cook @250 for 3-4 hrs, then I put them in a half pan with a bottle of beer and cover them and cook for another hour then uncovered for another hour to firm up. Total cook time is about 7 hrs approx. All I did before hand was a small amount of trimming and use your favorite beef rub.

Back