Brethren's potato soup recipe

1_T_Scot

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My wife really like potato soup so we had a premade soup tonight from bear creek. It was ok (trust me no pron worth looking at).
Anyway anyone got a good triple top secert recipe for Potato soup that you would like to share.

It could have smoked meat to make it qualify for Q-talk.

Thanks, and I'll post pron of any recipe I try.

My wife really like potato soup so we had a premade soup tonight from bear creek. It was ok (trust me no pron worth looking at).
Anyway anyone got a good triple top secert recipe for Potato soup that you would like to share.

It could have smoked meat to make it qualify for Q-talk.

Thanks, and I'll post pron of any recipe I try.

This is a recipe I use for a green chile, potato style soup I make. You can leave out the green chile if you like.

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2-3 russet potatoes peeled and cubed
  • 2 cups smoked chicken
  • 1/2 cup chopped green chile peppers
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch garlic powder
  1. In a large pot melt butter or margarine. Add flour and stir the resulting paste over medium heat. Add the milk and chicken broth and whip to eliminate any lumps. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium simmer.
  2. When potatoes are almost done add the chicken. Add the chopped green chiles, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Stir well and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes and serve.

I love potato soup too.
No recorded recipe though, I just eyeball everything.
I peel and dice some spuds, then boil 'em, but not so they're real soft, cuz they'll cook more.
Brown up a half pound or more of bacon pieces or ham (there's your smoked meat!)
Some onion, green - red - and yellow peppers (I like the veggies raw when I add them to the pot), milk or cream (your call, I use milk), a can of cheddar cheese soup, salt, pepper, etc...
If necessary, I thicken with instant potato flakes.
Pretty easy to make really.

Good luck!

I like the sound of either. Ok, I'll ask my wife which one to try if next weekend. If there anymore I'll add them too.

Chile peppers sound good to me probably not to my better 1/2 though.

I love potato soup too.
No recorded recipe though, I just eyeball everything.
I peel and dice some spuds, then boil 'em, but not so they're real soft, cuz they'll cook more.
Brown up a half pound or more of bacon pieces or ham (there's your smoked meat!)
Some onion, green - red - and yellow peppers (I like the veggies raw when I add them to the pot), milk or cream (your call, I use milk), a can of cheddar cheese soup, salt, pepper, etc...
If necessary, I thicken with instant potato flakes.
Pretty easy to make really.

Good luck!

that is how my dad makes it, he never measures anything, and it is always top notch stuff,

My wife makes a potato soup to die for. When she gets home I will post the recipe. It has BACON!

tators
sugar cured ham
chicken broth
creme of chicken soup
vidilia onion
milk
some good bbq rub stirred in

cook till eatable

add some kind of cheese. dont cook the cheese in it, just sprinkle over the soup when you get in the bowl.

Here is what I call Loaded Baked Potato Soup:
2/3 c of butter 2 c of shredded cheese
2/3c of flour 8 oz of sour cream
7-8 c of milk 3/4 tsp salt
4 lg baked potatoes 1/2 tsp pepper
4 green onions
1 lb of bacon cooked and crumbled

Peel and cube potatoes; in a large pot melt butter, stir in flour and heat until smooth; gradually add milk stirring constantly until thickened; add potatoes and onions; bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes; add bacon,cheese,salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted; add sour cream and stir until blended in. makes about 8-10 servings

My wife makes a potato soup to die for. When she gets home I will post the recipe. It has BACON!

3 pounds red potatoes cubed
1 pound Velveeta cheese cubed
4 oc shredded cheddar cheese
8 cups half & half
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely
1 Tbsp white pepper
1 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup bacon cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup flour
2 cloves garlic minced

Cook potatoes al dente and drain
In a large pan melt butter and make roux with the flour
Slowly add Half & half and stir until thickened
Add cheeses and stir until melted over medium heat
Add remaining ingredients except for potatoes and mix well
Add potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes

This soup can be put in a slow cooker and kept for hours. The longer it simmers in a slow cooker the more the flavors marry.

That Bear Creek stuff is really pretty good. I doctor it up a little with fresh bacon and a little more cheese on top if I have it but its good to have in the cupboard for a quick fix.

Scott

OK Cheez, ya got me.
That recipe is getting added to my collection.
Think I'll skip the Velveeta though, not a big fan...

OK Cheez, ya got me.
That recipe is getting added to my collection.
Think I'll skip the Velveeta though, not a big fan...

Good deal thanks. I don't care for Velveeta either but in this recipe you won't know it's there.

Back