MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
dbhost
On the road to being a farker

Default Giving away my old Silver Smoker to a friend.

A good friend of mine REALLY helped my wife and I out for our wedding. I have mostly redone the NB Silver Smoker, but I am planning on completing it sometime this next month. I have redone all the wood with Teak that has been routed with a 45 degree chamfer and hand oiled, the firebox has been reinforced with a new 1/4" steel plate welded in and the welds ground smooth. (Thanks to another friend of mine) I am now to the point where I have to cut the rusted pivot bolt for the door shutter out with my dremel, and replace it with stainless steel, give the entire inside and outside of it a good thorough cleaning and degreasing, and then hit it with a fresh coat of BBQ black paint on the entire thing, reassemble it, and deliver it.

This smoker had served me very well for quite a few years, but I now have a Bandera, and have come accross a steal on another bandera that has been Garage stored and VERY lightly used. ($50.00). I had posted in a prior thread about putting two smokers on a low boy trailer as a sort of BBQ rig. Here it is...

As far as the rig goes, we have it narrowed down.

I am picking up a 6x12 ramp load decked lowboy trailer from a neighbor for $200.00. It needs tires, and wiring. It is a single axle trailer, and I believe I can fit the 33's from my pickup in the fender wells. This will re-use the good tires from the truck when I upgrade to 35" mudders in a couple of months, I just need to find some inexpensive 17x8" 5 on 5.25" rims, OR change the hubs on the trailer out for 6 on 135mm bolt pattern which is NOT going to happen...

The water supply will be my Reliance Aqua Tainers. I have a stack of them. I should be able to carry 42 gallons of water onboard. Gray Water will be managed by the soft side water containers. Water Heating via Coleman Hot Water On Demand, prep surface will be via Cabelas Campers Kitchen, and roof over the prep area will be my Ozark Trail Screen Shelter. The smokers will get rolled out and set under a 10x20 / PVC Pipe framed contraption of a tarp rig that allows for a high roof, and a little bit of wind protection on two sides.

I know this requires a bit more setup from the cook team that say pulling up, setting some jacks, and flipping up some tables, but other than the trailer itself, it utilizes equipment we already have and are using with good success, AND the trailer can be used for other purposes such as hauling building materials that are too long for the pickup, or hauling multiple ATVs to the hunting lease...

I am planning on welding on an extension to the front of the trailer, to raise the front grid about even with the top of the Bandera, and filling that space with expanded steel. I figure this will give me more lashing options for the smokers...

Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds great to me!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Document with pics Please.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your friend is a lucky man.
Good luck with the rig setup, sounds like the plan is solid.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
leanza
Babbling Farker

Sounds like your a good friend and you got that Q bug real bad. Pics!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
sampson
is one Smokin' Farker

Hard to believe that noone else has mentioned your lack of pics for these projects... As has been said here many times before, no pics, it didn't happen
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]KCBS Member and CBJ[/FONT]
sampson is offline   Reply With Quote