MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
snowbound
Found some matches.

Talking 1st try at smoked meatloaf...

After going through most of the "usual suspects" on my new smoker this summer as a fledgling "smoker guy" - salmon, chicken quarters, pork shoulder, brisket - I decided it was time to experiment with one of my absolute favorite foods in the world. A old-fashioned, all-American, granny would be proud... Meatloaf!!!*

I'm convinced that the dour-faced members of the "Yuck. I hate meatloaf." crowd were subjected to an inferior product during their formative years (Yup. I'm blamin' your Mama) and subsequently have never experienced true meatloaf bliss. Moist yet firm, a collage of flavors, the tender crust... Yes, it's truly a meat symphony for the palate!!! Ok, maybe I've strayed a bit or become a little excited, you get my point.**

Anyway, there's a place in town that serves a tasty smoked meatloaf - it's even been featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives". Great stuff, but it made me want to experience Chris's meatloaf recipe in a smoker. Hers starts out with a mixture of lean ground beef, spicy Italian sausage (cases removed), finely minced onions, minced Cremini mushrooms and a couple of peeled, seeded and diced Anaheim or Pasilla green chiles.

Then "everyone in the pool!" with fresh bread crumbs, fresh basil, grated parmigiano reggiano, a couple of eggs, a small can of tomato paste, garlic, oregano, a pinch of salt and a healthy grind of black pepper.*

After some serious "hand-to-hand combat" to properly mix all the ingredients, the meat-monster is transferred to a oiled pan (for obvious reasons, I prefer a disposable foil pan) and shaped into a proper loaf.*

Into the smoker, which has been pre-heated to 250 degrees. This is a higher temp than I've commonly used when smoking meats, but we are dealing with ground meats. All my resources pointed to 250, so who am I to argue with other's successes?*

Close the barn door and let the chips - I went with apple wood - fall where they may. I added wood chips every 30 minutes for the 1st 1 1/2 hours. At two hours I opened the smoker and QUICKLY basted the meatloaf with the pan juices with a turkey baster and then removed most all the drippings with the baster. Mushrooms generate a lot of liquid and we prefer a firmer, crustier meatloaf rather than stewing it in its own juices.*

Sam guarding the smoker. He knows that it means he'll be getting a bite or five. Chris spoils him...*

3 hours in the smoker and the internal temperature is at 160-165. Time for a grand entrance!!! A 15-20 minute rest and it's time to slice & serve.

The final plated product. Seriously, is there anything that spells COMFORT FOOD better than meatloaf, real mashed potatoes & gravy and home-grown green beans?*

All the effort was totally worth it as I heard those two words that every cook loves to hear...*

"Best Ever!!!"*

Snow
snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Mighty fine eatin!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice lookin' loaf.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Looks and sounds delicious!

KC

Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Looks great! I haven't tried smoked meatloaf yet but it is definitely on my to do list.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

You can take the same meatloaf you been eatin for years and put a lil smoke to it and it takes it up a couple notches... Looks good
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Oh man that's my favorite meal. Can't go wrong with meat and taters
Ruger410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

We love meatloaf off of the smoker or grill! Yours looks great!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
bulldogs34
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Is there any other combination that goes together as well as these 3 (meatloaf, mash potatoes, & green beans). I think when someone says they are having meatloaf; you can bet what the sides will be.

Good looking stuff. Will be making Saturday
bulldogs34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
aawa
Babbling Farker

That is the most terrible looking meatloaf I have seen. I need to taste test it to confirm my initial reaction to the pictures and then dispose of it.

Just kidding. That looks great and I want some!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Looks delicious!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good! Meatloaf is one of those things I've been able to use as a go to for weekday smokage! :D I typically run 275 for about 2.5 hours. I have to go cook some now!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

i love meatloaf. well done.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
i love meatloaf. well done.
Never tried one medium rare
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote