MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #46
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I have no problem working the grill for the burgers and dogs.. Need to sweat off couple of pounds anyway
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #47
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Wife just left to take my son back upstate to college again. Now I'm looking forward to being there early this evening, with brother and I think niece in tow. Oh yeah, and with the Lang and grill in tow also!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #48
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

image.jpg
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #49
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

image.jpgBig meats are on.
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #50
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Awesome day today... great weather, lots of vets came down to enjoy the day and lots of dedicated brethren stayed up for 2 days with a couple hours sleep to make it a success. Tired tonight, will post pics and detail in the morning.. but the day was a great success, and a huge thanks to everyone that came down to help.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #51
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Great Weather!

Great People!

Great Event!

Great Time!

Great Cause!

And did I mention that it was GREAT?
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #52
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Great Weather!

Great People!

Great Event!

Great Time!

Great Cause!

And did I mention that it was GREAT?
I think it needs to be said one more time.
Its was great Seriously it was great cause with even better group of people!!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #53
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

I am proud to be one of many of the group that were ego-less, team-less that gave 110% to a great cause. We need to get the word out that great humanity and fellowship exist, at least in the BBQ Brethren!

Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #54
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Finally got some much needed rest and recupe. (thanks to celebrex etc....) It was another great event, bigger than last year and I was honored to be a part of it once again.

(Btw, left my navy blue zippered hoodie by accident, if anyone happened to snag it, last seen near the cambro tables....)
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #55
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Photos

Hi,

1) I'm hoping that the Newsday article will be corrected by this afternoon.

2) Thanks to Dianne and Allison, you can take a look at some photos from the event here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=fb00258735

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #56
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Text of the corrected article. (formatting errors are theirs, not mine)

Veterans enjoy company, comfort food at annual BBQ
Published: August 25, 2013 1:00 PMBy Mary Kate Mahoney

The time he spent serving in the military is more than just a period in Ed Carley’s life. The East Northport resident’s entire family history is interlaced with the armed services, since his ancestors arrived in North America and settled in Northport in 1638.“My family has served in every war since the inception of the United States,” said Carley, who served in the Army between 1965 and 1968 and whose father fought in the Battle of the Bulge during World War II.

It is no surprise that Carley was proud of his daughter, Wendy Robertson, when she enlisted in the Army in 1986.“The military is my family,” Robertson said. Father and daughter joined several hundred other veterans and their families at the Northport VA Medical Center on Saturday for the second annual Southern-style Barbecue for veterans, sponsored by the Suffolk Police Veterans Association. The SPVA began in 2006 and includes both members of the Suffolk County Police Department who served in the military and non-law enforcement veterans.

Founding member and President Kenneth Bombace saw the need for a transition period for veterans re-entering the police department when he returned in 2005 after serving 18 months in Iraq.“The veterans need time to decompress,” Bombace said. “We realized that in Suffolk County there are over 600 veterans in the police force. This [SPVA] is a fraternal society that has taken on the cause of helping these veterans in the community.”Veterans representing all five branches of the military and every conflict dating back to WWII were present at the SPVA’s barbecue.

Family activities and Southern-style comfort foods encouraged a sense of community as adults and children enjoyed the games and food, which was prepared and smoked by the BBQ Brethren, a national organization of barbecue and grilling enthusiasts. Jason Green, of Oceanside, who served in the Army between 2007 and 2012, completing one tour in Afghanistan, manned the grill along with his fellow BBQ Brethren.

After returning home and working with the Northport VA Medical Center to transition back to civilian life, Green joined the Brethren because he enjoyed the camaraderie of the organization.“It’s a lot like the military,” he said. “They go out of their way to help each other, and it’s a lot of fun.”“

The food is as good as always,” said Sharon Friedrich, of East Northport, who served in the Navy between 1984 and 1989, and has attended the barbecue in the past.Friedrich works in the Department of Community Relations for the Northport VA Medical Center. She was joined at the barbecue by her father, Carl Friedrich, a fellow veteran who was stationed in Germany during his army service between 1955 and 1958.“I always wanted to join [the military],” Friedrich said. “I had a love for this country, and I was following in Dad’s footsteps.”

I believe that Jason's handle on the Brethren is Semper Fi. Hopefully he will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to thank Phil for doing the heavy lifting on this event, all the cooks who came out, all the judges who did such a great job on Saturday and the friends and family who came down to help such a great cause.

As others mentioned, it's an honor to be a part of group that counts folks like those that made this happen as members.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #57
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Thank you all who feed the troops and their families.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #58
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

DSC_0021.jpg
Great group.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #59
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Ok- here's a bunch of pics, no particular order.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #60
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Nice job that about sums it up!!

Thanks from:--->