MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Chuckie is an unforgiving PR!C< and pRon

So this will be part rant and part request for help with pRon.

I've been reading about chuckies on here from day one and have been wanting to try one of the melt in your mouth delicious treats (as you can see my expectations were high). So a couple of weeks ago I tried one on my Mini-WSM, well long story short my fuel had gotten damp, couldn't keep temp, switched to the gasser to finish and it was a HUGE FLOP. No biggy, I know what went wrong so I'll fix that next time.

So...yesterday was round two with chuckie (rotten bast...anyway). I had recently read the John Lewis interview/discussion and he talks about what he does to prep/season his brisket and I have heard over and over how chuckies are just like brisket so why not.

I started the night before by giving it a slather of 2 Tbsp of yellow mustard mixed with 2 Tbsp of pickle juice. After the slather I gave it a good rub down with the mix of black pepper, lawrys, kosher salt, & garlic that he says he uses on brisket.

This chuckie was around 4.5 lbs.

P1000222.jpg

P1000223.jpg

Started the fire around 8:00 am and then put the meat on at around 8:30 am.

P1000227.jpg

Temp held steady at around 250-260 throughout the cook. Unfortunately, it didn't hit the target IT of 160 before I had to run some errands (about 155 or so) and by the time I got back the IT hit 185. The other thing the struck me was the appearance, instead of having a nice crusty bark it looked gloppy (see pic) I wrapped it up with a mix of onions, Dr. BBQ cow injection and beer and put it back on.

P1000229.jpg

I then brought it up to an IT of 205 and put it in a cooler wrapped in towels for a little over an hour and then took it out to pull. Now, I did prob and did get some resistance but I figured the hour+ in the cooler would fix that. (not)

It did pull but was a bit challenging so I put it back in the juice and into the oven at 250 for a little while and ended up with this...

P1000230.jpg

I put it on some buns and on to my finest Styrofoam china

P1000234.jpg

So this wasn't the worst thing I've ever eaten but it was far from the melt in your mouth deliciousness that I was expecting. I was expecting the chuck roast to be somewhat forgiving because it's fatty and has melting connective tissue (I was thinking more like a boston butt...easy). I'm finding this to be a bit more challenging than I expected so any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Never cooked one so I don't have a clue and can't help. But thanks for posting the thread so I can follow along and learn something.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Doug S.
Full Fledged Farker

I'd take the IT to 200+ then rest in a foiled pan inside a cooler for a couple of hours should make "pulling" much easier !!
18.5" OTS Bud Light Weber Kettle
Weber Performer W/ Rotisserie
Weber Smokey Joe
Mastertouch 40" SS Electric Smoker
Doug S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
N8man
Babbling Farker

here of late I've been finishing mine in a braising liquid on the smoker with outstanding results....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Cook it until it's probe tender. Just like a brisket.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

A Chuck roast aint a Brisket don't try & cook it like one. It takes along time at an even temp once it gets above 200 for it to break down all the collagen. This only reinforces the I pulled at at this temp don't work. Cook it untill it is probe tender on you can take a Fork and push it in and give it a twist and coma away will pulled beef.
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Last edited by Bludawg; 07-24-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Part of the problem is that a Chuck is a huge hunk of meat that can weigh close to 30 lbs. In this large mass are different muscles that do different amounts of work, and therefore take different amounts of time to get tender. Any part of this mass can be cut off and sold as "chuck roast". If you get one of the parts that is the toughest, then its gonna be a more difficult cook.

How does one look at a 3-4 lb chuck roast and tell if its from a more tender part of the chuck? Well I don't know because I haven't cooked enough. Maybe someone who would will chime in.

If I were cooking a chuck tomorrow and I wanted guaranteed results, I would season the roast, sear it all over using direct heat. Then I would put it in a foil pan that it barely fits into and smoke it until it is fall apart tender,, all the while cooking in its own fat and juice. Will this be the exact results you are seeking? Maybe. Maybe not. Will it be delicious? Almost impossible for it not to be
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Yep.......I really think you just didn't go long enough on your cook. Bludawg is right on the money on this one. And maybe just try another one real simple, forget all that slather, pickle juice and other stuff, just go with salt, pepper and maybe a little onion and garlic powder. Get it right from there and then go ahead and try all that other stuff, although a good chuckie will stand all on its own flavor wise, you don't need all that other jazz.

KC

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
A Chuck roast aint a Brisket don't try & cook it like one. It takes along time at an even temp once it gets above 200 for it to break down all the collagen. This only reinforces the I pulled at at this temp don't work. Cook it untill it is probe tender on you can take a Fork and push it in and give it a twist and coma away will pulled beef.
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Bludawg,

Thanks for pointing out the need to extend the time at the 200+ range for the collagen to break down/melt. I've read enough of your posts to know your feels on this subject, but I'll ask the question anyway...Are you talking about starting to probe after an hour at 200+ or 3 hours at 200+? In other words when do you start probing?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Does anyone have any thoughts on the bark or lack of (as seen in the pic "gloppy" mess)?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

What comes to mind concerning the "glop"..........To me it looks like it is from a lot of excessive moisture, maybe from all the pickle juice/mustard slather? I don't know your set-up, was there a waterpan in there?

When I have done chuckies, or any other meats for that matter, I usually dry them real well with paper towels before putiing on my rubs and what not.

not sure where else to go with it.

KC

Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
Bludawg,

Thanks for pointing out the need to extend the time at the 200+ range for the collagen to break down/melt. I've read enough of your posts to know your feels on this subject, but I'll ask the question anyway...Are you talking about starting to probe after an hour at 200+ or 3 hours at 200+? In other words when do you start probing?
I don't do temps. On a chuck roast I cook it until I can push my finger in to it and it comes apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on the bark or lack of (as seen in the pic "gloppy" mess)?
You created your own nightmare with Mustard & Pickle juice Both of which are great on a cheese burger not the juice but the pickle.
I season with S&P sere on high heat and cook it until I can push my finger in to it
Post sere

All done

Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Never had a problem with them. Dry rub them without all the extra stuff (no mustard or pickle juice). Throw it on the smoker at 265. When the bark gets the color I want, I put it in a pan and foil it with some liquid...usually beef broth. Put it back on the smoker until it is done. No temperatures...cook it by look and feel. Keep it simple, it's only barbeque.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #14
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Part of the problem is that a Chuck is a huge hunk of meat that can weigh close to 30 lbs. In this large mass are different muscles that do different amounts of work, and therefore take different amounts of time to get tender. Any part of this mass can be cut off and sold as "chuck roast". If you get one of the parts that is the toughest, then its gonna be a more difficult cook.

How does one look at a 3-4 lb chuck roast and tell if its from a more tender part of the chuck? Well I don't know because I haven't cooked enough. Maybe someone who would will chime in.
Ive been having EXCELLENT results with chuck by asking butcher for one cut from "rib end"

Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Here's my method for mouth watering Chuckie

1.) Rub with S&P add some garlic and onion powder to taste
2.) Smoke at 275* over wood of choice until the IT is 160*
3.) Put the roast in a pan and fill with beef broth, rough cut bell peppers and onions. As a gage you want the bottom third of the chuckie in the mixture
4.) Cover with foil and put back on the smoker, or in the oven at 250*275* until it is falling apart.
5.) Remove from cooker and shred to discard all of the fat
6.) Put back in cooker to reduce the juices by 1/2
7.) Mix it all up real good
8.) Eat

Try this it may get you closer to what you want.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote