MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
mjancel
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Pig roast

Someone ask me to come to there house and cook a pig they would provide
The pig. They wanted to know what I would charge. I have no clue
I was thinking
Towing cooker setup tear down 100

Wood. 100

My service 20$ per hour

Lang 84
mjancel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

$350 with supplied Adult beverages and incidentals?
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
mjancel
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks il have to check
Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Be VERY CAREFUL.Arrange to provide the pig yourself! You could show up to cook a frozen pig.Just sayin.Leave NOTHING to others.Be in COMPLETE control of EVERY aspect of the cook yourself.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Hoss has hit the nail on the head!

My bad experience was showing up to cook a pig that the customer provided. I arrived to find that they had killed an old boar pig that they had been feeding garbage. It smelled so rank that I didn't think it was edible--they wanted it--I cooked it--it tasted terrible. There I stood by my by my well lettered BBQ pit--wishing that I could hide my name.

Next day one of my wife's co-workers tells her about this party she went to that the guy cooking the pig didn't know what he was doing, and the pig tasted horrible. My wife asked her the caterer's name and guess what?--it was Chuck Wagon BBQ Co

now--I supply the pig or I do not cook it---if the customer wants to supply the pig I tell them where to rent a BBQ pit. No one else will protect your reputation--you must protect it yourself.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
Hoss has hit the nail on the head!

My bad experience was showing up to cook a pig that the customer provided. I arrived to find that they had killed an old boar pig that they had been feeding garbage. It smelled so rank that I didn't think it was edible--they wanted it--I cooked it--it tasted terrible. There I stood by my by my well lettered BBQ pit--wishing that I could hide my name.

Next day one of my wife's co-workers tells her about this party she went to that the guy cooking the pig didn't know what he was doing, and the pig tasted horrible. My wife asked her the caterer's name and guess what?--it was Chuck Wagon BBQ Co

now--I supply the pig or I do not cook it---if the customer wants to supply the pig I tell them where to rent a BBQ pit. No one else will protect your reputation--you must protect it yourself.
Well put .....

Nothing else to consider in that statement but protecting yourself.

Unsavory butcher or customer may also have a pig on the edge of spoiling and you get the finger pointed at you... and your reputation.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

I would NEVER cook someone elses Never health reasons ,,,,
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
mjancel
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the heads up but still wonder what I should charge for my hourly rate of being there cooking my time is def worth more than 10 pr hr but is 20 shooting myself to hi
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjancel View Post
Thanks for the heads up but still wonder what I should charge for my hourly rate of being there cooking my time is def worth more than 10 pr hr but is 20 shooting myself to hi
only you can decide what you're free time is worth.

It doesn't sound like you have an actual catering business... Make sure the risk is worth the reward. Are you looking to get into business ? get experience ? Just make some $$ ?

Consider the benefits of having proper health permits and insurance if your cooking for strangers.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
IamMadMan

Quote:
Try this for a close estimate, add to the base cost of the pig, charge an equipment mileage fee, and finally a cooking fee. Remember you can buy these pigs wholesale from a local slaughter house.

Keep in mind the cooking price appears lower because you are making a profit on the meat, but if you can't purchase wholesale pigs this will be of no help to you..

http://bringhurstmeats.com/roasting.htm
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I am always amazed that people come on seeking advise and then ignore it. Don't cook any food that you don't provide, never, never, never.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Whenever you are not in total control of the meat either from the farm, frozen OR from a reputable reseller you never know what conditions the meat will be kept. People get very sick from spoiled meat... Not a risk I'm willing to put my name & reputation (as well as people's well-being) behind. It's like Russian Roulette IMO. Be careful...

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

I take my current hourly pay rate for my day job, and multiply by 1.5. If they don't want to pay that, it's my weekend and not worth my time. With that being said, $20/hr is undervaluing yourself.

as far as them providing the pig, its up to you. If it was me, i'd tell them where to get it, what size it should be, and any special requirements, does it need to be butterflied for your pit, are you going to do it race car style?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Having them buy the meat is crazy. Would you go to a restaurant and bring your own steak to grill?? Why do people think BBQ is any different? Would you bring your own sides to a restaurant, would you drop off a brisket for them to smoke and tell the restaurant you'll be back tomorrow night to eat it?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not in the catering business but I do have FRIENDS who want me to cook ribs and/or pulled pork for them if I've got something already smoking. I NEVER, EVER, EVER let them buy the meat. My number one rule is I buy the meat and they can reimburse me. Non-negotiable. I've only had one person have an issue with it. I told him up front where I was going to buy the meat and how much it would cost. Though it was only a few dollars difference in total price he wanted to go Wal-Mart and buy some of the enhanced spare ribs. I told him (nicely) that I don't cook those type ribs and I told him why. So he said no problem and went about his merry way.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote