My Weber Kettle Restoration

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is Joe, Harbormaster's oldest son. I'm talking, he's typing, and this is my kettle that my dad got me on Craig's List for my thirteenth birthday. It's an 18.5" Weber Bar-B-Q-Kettle with an 'N' date stamp which makes it a 19 year old grill.
This past weekend, we found time to work on it.

We sanded off all of the gunk on the handles and brushed them with Teak Oil. We managed to save the original Weber logo too.

joesgrill2.jpg

I took the bottom vents off and scrubbed them with steel wool. Then my dad bent the vents back to the original shape and straightened out the tabs. We reattached the vents with some bolts that were laying in his junk drawer and some homemade jam nuts.

joesgrill3.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside of the grill all clean and shiny.

joesgrill4.jpg

Here's how it looks all scrubbed clean. Dad used some pieces of conduit to make the legs so they don't wobble. He reshaped the ash catcher and straightened the lip of the lid too. I think it had been dropped a few times.

joesgrill1.jpg

Tonight we cooked potatoes on my grill and brats on dad's OTG.

My potatoes

joesgrill5.jpg

And the brats

joesgrill6.jpg

Here's supper ready to be served

joesgrill8.jpg

joesgrill7.jpg

It was hot and sweaty work, but worth it because I got to spend the day with my dad.

Thanks for looking.

Joe

Kettle looks great considering the age! Food does too!

Fantastic job on the restoration and the food...Brats are a weakness of mine I admit :-D....and what a great way to spend time together. :cool::cool:

My son is 35 and we are cooking a comp. together next weekend. Nice job on the kettle and the food. Hope you enjoyed the rehab job and the cook, I know you're Dad did.

Wow, fantastic job. That 19 year old grill looks brand new. Great looking food too.

I like that resto.I'd like to find on of those with the three vents in the bottom very cool.It's always worth anything to get to spend time with dad.

Great job! The quality time you spent working with your dad will be something you will always remember.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Great job on the restore, Joe! Follow this "hobby" now that you have your own kettle.....its so rewarding! Impress the crap out of your friends, as I will bet you a dollar that your one (or the only) of the few of them that will be "Q'ing" !!

Great that you spent some quality time with your Dad! I built a cabin in the woods with mine about 20 years ago....he is now 80 and I will ALWAYS remember that week we spent in the north woods of Michigan.

Be sure to get your own ID on here and get to posting some Pron of your next cook!

Terry

Back