MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #16
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmm, I just put an oven thermometer on the rack with the meat. Check the dome temp then check the inside thermometer temp and just work with the offset in mind. So my thermometer on the side of my smoker reads 50 degrees higher than the thermometer in the center of the meat rack. I just run the outside temp at 300 knowing it is 250 where I am worried about it. I double check as the cook goes along once in a while. I totally understand wanting it to be right on but I am not sure that ever happens with the thermometer in the dome lid and the meat racks down lower.

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
lfurl43142
On the road to being a farker

I have a WSM and once had a real problem with the thermo. Turns out the sensor end was embedded in the turkey on the top grate.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
lfurl43142

Default Smart Bump

I had thermo problems on my WSM once that would be categorized as a Stupid User Error by the IT department. The sensor end of the thermo was embedded in the turkey.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
DLR
Full Fledged Farker

As it sits right now,I'm on the third therm. The original seemed to keep up with the remote until it hit 275 and then stopped there,the first replacement they sent ran a good 25 degrees lower than the remote and the one I have in there now runs 15 degrees lower. Also the first 2 therms I had both fogged up to the point where you couldn't hardly read them.I'm pretty much convinced that almost all OEM therms in the lids are inaccurate. I am also taking into consideration the fact that lid and grate temps will be different because of location so maybe 15 degrees should be okay as long as this difference remains constant. But I have been wondering myself if maybe Tel-tru makes one that will fit where the new WSM therm is located.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I wouldn't trust a dome therm anyways, because it's not going to give an accurate reading of what the actual temp right below grate level is.

Not to mention, depending on how much cold meat is next to the therm, it's gonna read even lower. Nope, wouldn't even pay attention to it.

If I owned one, I'd probably perform a thermometer delete mod, and cover the hole with a small sheet of aluminum flashing or something.

Example of a simple therm delete mod:

The lower thermometer that I installed has a 6" stem, so it sits right under the center of cooking grate. That I will trust :)

After about 2 cooks, the sheet aluminum is completely sealed up with bbq goodness.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 04:39 AM   #21
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Well got the 22.5" WSM loaded down with 2 butts and a 16lb brisket. Pulled the thermo out to test it . Boiling water it was reading right under 200* Redicheck reading 210 or so in the water, double checked with thermopen. So, the WSM thermo is junk. Guess Ill be ordering a couple of tel-tru's next week. I am way to drunk tonight to order anything off the internet lol..

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #22
accuseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
I checked it out of the box. It read about 20* light. I didn't see any way to adjust.
If there is a hex shoulder on the back side of the dial case, you can grab that with a wrench and turn the entire dial case with your hand. Boiling water is a good way to calibrate if you're not in the mountains....212 deg F
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #23
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook by feel, when I place my hands on the middle section I know what temp it's at
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #24
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I cook by feel, when I place my hands on the middle section I know what temp it's at
Soooooo full of chit

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
James Montigny
Knows what a fatty is.

The thermometer in the dome measures temperature at the dome not at the rack.
Get a digital thermometer with a rack probe and clip it in place.
Even then, keep in mind that temps will vary across the inside of the cooker.
James Montigny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq-guru, eyelets, thermometer, WSM