Brisket Redemption Plan

euclid

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Dear Brethren,

I'm in need of your guidance. Ever since my first not-so-great attempt at smoking a brisket, I am planning on going back this weekend and redeeming myself. Don't get me wrong - the first one wasn't that bad; it had a good taste but it came no where near the stuff I've had on my travels to Decatur/Huntsville (Big Bob Gibsons, The Chuckwagon) and down in Texas. Hell - even the bbq joint a few miles where I grew up in Elkton, MD does a much better brisket than me.

The last brisket I cooked was a 7lb flat (cryovac) that I got from BJ's. Now, mind you, when I picked the meat up from the store it was half frozen. They only had 1 brisket at the two BJ's I went to so that's what I ended up with. I thawed the meat, hit is with a simple rub and ran the smoker at a temp range of 240-250 for about 12 hours. I might metion I did Butts over Brisket. I pulled it when the meat probe read 190 and I thought it was "butta." It rested, foil wrapped in a cooler for 1 hour as I waited for friends to arrive. After I sliced it the meat was more like medium-well steak consistency and not fall-apart, using your fingers to get every last bit, tender.

So I'm trying to figure out how I can do better. Could it be I pulled the brisket too early? Did I carve off too much of the fat cap? Was it not marbled enough? Pit temp too high? Do I need to inject?

Should mention I'm using a WSM 22.5"

Any help, guidance, or articles/threads that you might suggest I read to learn a bit more would be more than appreciated!

Your Friend and BBQ'er in Training,
Steve

I think all that wrong was you probably pulled it too early. The "like butta" feeling really has nearly no resistance to the probe going in.

I think all that wrong was you probably pulled it too early. The "like butta" feeling really has nearly no resistance to the probe going in.

Agreed. I go by the probe feel also, but I always note the temp and it seems like the vast majority are between 195-203. The only one I can remember pulling off at 190 was a Wagyu.

Only cooked a few briskets so far but have had GREAT results on them all so far. I too got a 7 lb flat at BJ's. I injected it with beef broth and a little rub that I also put on the outside ( Texas BBQ Grand Champion ) the night before and wrapped in saran wrap. Took out an hour prior to putting on cooker and let come up in temp. Get cooker to 235 and a light smoke and put on fat down for 2-3 hours. After 2-3 hours put in a pan with a little bit of beef broth and cook until it hits 175, at that point wrap the pan in foil and cook until 203 degree's. Pull it off and let it sit in a cooler for at least an hour, I went almost two. Slice and try not to eat it all before you serve to your guest:)
Not the pro on this by far but have had great results with this method and took second place in a BBQ comp among 6 friends with it. I put my last one on at 7:00 and pulled off at 3:00. Let it rest in cooler til 5:00 and served with some au jus over top. MMMMM GOOD. Good luck, hope it helps.

I'm going to keep this in mind this weekend - "nearly no resistance to the probe going in." I could definitely see myself thinking I put no resistance, but I am sure I did. Will try again!

Looks like I've got some reading to do! Thanks all of you for the links. Also, the pan idea & beef broth injection is interesting. Taking all of this into mind.

Okay - Update. I've had my two briskets on since 2:30 this morning and the littler guy I think is almost there. I'm testing it for butta and am wondering should I be testing through the side of the brisket or through the top? Probably a ridiculous question, but I'm kinda nervous over here!

Just threw on a bunch of moinks a minute ago and am excited to try them as this is my first attempt at those.

Back