MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Ouch! Need cheaper turkey.

I'm plan on smoking two whole turkey breasts on the WSM and then slicing and freezing for sammiches. I've smoked tons of whole turkeys, usually around the holidays so prices are cheap since most places use turkeys as loss leaders.
Now though, turkey are full price, and the breasts are even worse. My local grocery has turkey breasts for about 25 bucks a pop, so two breasts are going to run me 50 bucks.
I checked Costco today and they only have cooked turkey breasts. Anybody have any ideas where I can score some uncooked turkey breasts cheep?
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

I saw a wild one today on the street, could be laws against it but he didn't seem to move too fast and just a little bit o' work to clean him up and its free (just don't get caught)

Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
CB
On the road to being a farker

In our neck o'the woods we have a chain called "Cash & Carry" and it's used by a lot of smaller grocery stores, mom & pop restaurants, etc. They always carry frozen 13lb turkeys - which fit nicely on a rotisserie, my smoker or my Big Easy infrared fryer.

There may be something similar in you area - worth checking out with some local restaurants or pubs you know.

They also sell vac-sealed pork shoulders, ribs, sirloin, rib eye, etc. so great for catering and parties. It's only Select beef, but usually pretty decent.
Silver & H2O Smokers
Double Chef Smoker
CB940X Charcoal Grill
The Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer
Big Easy Smoker-Roaster-Grill
Outdoor Stove-Top & Smoker
Rambler on-the-go! grill
CB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I will usually hit up a Gordon Food Service (GFS) similar to Restaurant Depot for off season items.

You are correct that you pay a premium off season in the regular supermarkets, as the product does not move as fast and shelf/freezer space is money ticking away.

Restaraunts serve items year round, and the prices are more held in check because of consistant, yet lower, demand.

Edited to add:

And at my GFS, you can even place an order and pay pre-printed prices. No up charge for ordering. Check your local supply houses

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

If you have one nearby, Restaurant Depot has frozen, boneless turkey breasts for $1.69 lb. They come two to a case so for about $30 +/-, you can really stock the freezer.

Good luck.

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen
bbqdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

My Sam's usually carry the frozen breasts year round. Ocassionally you can't find them there as they don't keep as many in the off season.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
I will usually hit up a Gordon Food Service (GFS) similar to Restaurant Depot for off season items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqdano View Post
If you have one nearby, Restaurant Depot has frozen, boneless turkey breasts for $1.69 lb.
There is a Restaurant Depot in my area, but they are wholesale only. Don't you need a business license to shop there? I did manage to find the Publix brand here in Atlanta for $1.99 a pound, which is much better than the $2.99 a pound they wanted for Butterball.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
There is a Restaurant Depot in my area, but they are wholesale only. Don't you need a business license to shop there? I did manage to find the Publix brand here in Atlanta for $1.99 a pound, which is much better than the $2.99 a pound they wanted for Butterball.
Yes, you do need either a business license or be part of a not for profit organization such as a church etc. Depending on where you work, ask the boss for a copy of their license. RD doesn't care what KIND of business it is and they will give you 4 membership cards. There are no individual names or photos on the card (like Sams etc.) so once you're signed up, (and that is free), you're good to go. Take your own jacket in there or you'll be borrowing one of theirs while you're browsing through the walk in freezer.

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen
bbqdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

Kroger has turkey breasts for 1.79 a pound in today's ad supplement here in the Atlanta area.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksegers View Post
Kroger has turkey breasts for 1.79 a pound in today's ad supplement here in the Atlanta area.
Yeah, a friend of mine just emailed me with the same info. I already bought the two publix breasts though, I should have waited one more day! Oh well, thanks for all the info, I'll post some Pron when I smoke them next weekend.