MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Goose
Full Fledged Farker

Default Grease managment in a Bullet smoker

I am still making friends with my Pro Q 20 Excel, grease management (what else would you call it?) has been a challenge.

My first smoke was the worst in this regard as I ended up with an unlined pan with a couple of quarts of half frozen fat and water. My property is small and I just don't have a place to dig a deep hole and dump it. I have since started to line the water pan and use drip trays under the meat, I loose a lot of room in the smoker that way but its better than nothing. So I am looking to hear how some of the more experienced members handle this.
Thanks.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

A water pan generously lined with heavy duty foil and a good supply of strong contractor trash bags always worked for me with the WSM's.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

^^^^What he said. After every cook, when I go to clean out the cooker I take out the foil with the grease and in the trash it goes. Then the trash goes out with the trash service. If you do not have trash service though, that would be quite a problem I'm sure.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

In my WSMs, I use sand instead of water, then double foil the top & bottom of the pan. Be sure to leave a "valley" in the foil for the grease to collect in. After it cools down just pull off the top layer of foil & toss along with the ashes (that's where the empty charcoal bags come in handy) .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

The other thing I'd often do with the WSM, is put the grease into a trash bag and add the ashes to it, that makes it a lot less messy and cleans out the ash pan at the same time.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
A water pan generously lined with heavy duty foil and a good supply of strong contractor trash bags always worked for me with the WSM's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEzzy View Post
The other thing I'd often do with the WSM, is put the grease into a trash bag and add the ashes to it, that makes it a lot less messy and cleans out the ash pan at the same time.
Ditto...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
BBQ Grail

I through the grease over the back fence into the neighbors yard. The skunks now use his yard for the pathway to the park and trees instead of my yard.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I guess I'm doing it a little different than everyone else.

I foil wrap my water pan in foil and when I pull the meat off the smoker, I pull the water pan out and set it on the ground to cool off. Open all the vent to maximize air flow to burn the rest of the coals.

Once the greasy water is cooled, I pour it into a rectangular puke pan that we brought home from the hospital after our youngest was born. It's the same pan I use to change the oil in the lawn mower and snow blower. Anyway, then using a funnel, I pour the greasy water into an empty plastic milk container and put the lid on it. Wipe down the pan and the funnel and put the paper towels in a plastic grocery sack. Throw the sack in the garbage and carefully put the milk container in the garbage so that it doesn't flip over and spill in the garbage can.

Once the coals have all burned through the grates, I pull out the charcoal grate and using a shovel, shovel the hot ashes into a galvanized bucket. Reassemble the smoker and put away. I let the hot ashes cool overnight in the driveway (outside) and in the morning, dump those in a plastic grocery sack.

Not as simple as some of the other suggestions, but it works for me.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote