MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Default Under the radar

let me first say that, my customers safety is always first in my mind, I have been making my sauces in an approved kitchen and I always follow proper food handling practices. I have however slacked on some of the paperwork and proper permits.....this is what got me in trouble.

A few days ago, i posted an ad on our local craigslist, the health dept. saw this ad and checked their records and sure enough, I don't have a permit to sell a damn thing.... a certified letter was delivered and now I have a few things to talk about with them.

let me clarify again.....this is not a safety issue! permits being what they are and the expense of this to begin with is why I did things under the radar....to anyone looking to start their own business, do it right or don't do it at all.

I have shut down my website until I can get with the program, I have removed all the links i can and have asked Phil to remove my spot in the brethren ventures forum until things are right.

Moral of this story....don't do anything halfassed!

I have meetings this week with health dept. officials and all are more than willing to help get this venture back on its feet, they see it as a viable business and just want things done by the book.....I can't say that they are not right.....I was trying to save a buck because of the small volume of business that I do and thought that I would not get caught and that the paperwork was time consuming and expensive....well....it is but, there is a reason for it. If I skimp on the permits, they see that as a doorway to skimp on customer safety.......I can see their point of view.

Do not make the same mistakes I made, do it by the book and then there will be no problems.

I am now looking into a serious re-tooling and possible bottling companies, this ain't gonna be cheap but, I don't want to be thought of as cheap.....now....let the fireworks begin!

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

That is a classic post---Thank You!

I have been barraged and temped with requests to "sell".
The last "go round" was Tues of this week
Just gave back a gratious $50 bill on principal!

But, you have hit the nail on the head!

Thanks,

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I would be interested, as would others I am sure, to hear how you prgress through the proper process, etc. Thanks for the post .
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
I would be interested, as would others I am sure, to hear how you prgress through the proper process, etc. Thanks for the post .
I'll keep everyone posted as to the when, where and why of the progress.....and to be honest... I really expected a couple of users here to rip me a new one.....thanks everyone for your patience

El Cheapo Brinkman
Oil Less Turkey fryer

Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

That reminds me, I have a tax issue to resolve. Thanks, JPW. Sounds like it will all work out for you and you have some good health people to work with. Some are pretty militant.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
bbqjoe
Banned

You want ripped???

Nah, I'm not gonna rip on ya. Especially since you were at least using a commercial kitchen.
Now just get those ducks in a row before you continue.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe View Post
You want ripped???

Nah, I'm not gonna rip on ya. Especially since you were at least using a commercial kitchen.
Now just get those ducks in a row before you continue.
LOL.......my ducks are lining up as we speak!!!

El Cheapo Brinkman
Oil Less Turkey fryer

Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #8
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw23 View Post
I'll keep everyone posted as to the when, where and why of the progress.....and to be honest... I really expected a couple of users here to rip me a new one.....thanks everyone for your patience
Jay, your talking to some of the finest bbq folks on the planet here.

Why in the hell????????????????? would anybody bash you for following the rules, be it wright or wrong.

You rock IMHO for ..........doing the proper things

Not going off half cocked, gettin wrongfully accused or sued by somebody who blamed you and your company for making somebody sick. Or worse yet from somebody blaming you for killing a family member.

I realize this is to the extreem here but nowdays, is it worth taking a chance? I dont think so.

I wont do catering jobs, nor take my equipment off my personal property to do a Q cook for anybody.
I cancelled my caters insurance due to the red tape and their demands.

I think you made and extreemly wise choice.

Do take the advice of the ruling authorities, then move forward with your company.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #9
Plowboy

Oh, and if you don't have insurance... GET SOME! My catering insurance covers my rub product as well. It was only $270 for the year for $2M of primary coverage along with some other ryders. <Someone sue me, and I'll split it with you. >

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
parrothead

Quote:
As long as you are doing it right now. Good luck to ya!

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #11
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Good Luck Jay. I think it is awesome that you "copped" to this and have taken corrective measures. Has made me think twice about a few things. Keep us posted brother.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #12
bdgr
Got Wood.

Does that mean my jar of mustard sauce is a collectible now?

But seriously, I know what your going through. Dealing with city government can be a nightmare. A word of advice, invest in a pocket voice recorder and record every meeting.

Best of Luck,

bdgr

Old 11-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #13
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgr View Post
Does that mean my jar of mustard sauce is a collectible now?

But seriously, I know what your going through. Dealing with city government can be a nightmare. A word of advice, invest in a pocket voice recorder and record every meeting.

Best of Luck,

bdgr
Hey Bdgr....good to see ya here....get over to cattle call and introduce yourself. Oh...and look up Ron L......he's our resident coffee guru!!

El Cheapo Brinkman
Oil Less Turkey fryer

Old 11-04-2007, 04:32 AM   #14
bdgr
Got Wood.

Quote:
Hey Bdgr....good to see ya here....get over to cattle call and introduce yourself. Oh...and look up Ron L......he's our resident coffee guru!!
done and done. BTW, I could tell you nightmare stories about permit process....

the worst...we were remodeling the coffee house before opening, had a construction dumpster full of old walls, carpet, what have you full and ready to be picked up. Then this guy from the state stops by....on a wednesday. Says he needs to see our asbestos survey. we told him "the city said we didn't need one since the building had been remodeled in the last x number of years"

"I don't care what the city said, if you you dont have that survey on my desk friday I'll fine you 500 a day since the day your building permit was issued"

It costs us something like an extra 500 bucks to have the test done that fast. Of course there was nothing because the building had already been remodeled several times since they stopped using asbestos.

I cant count the number of times we got burned because the city would tell us something, and then deny it. A voice recorder is your friend.