Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Shizuoka, that was exactly the problem with the frozen ribs. While I was out, I stopped at four different places nearby to pick up some fresh ribs. Everything was sold out, which was mind blowing. Even walmart had everything but spare ribs. All the other places were out as well. One place had a couple packs, but they too were still mostly frozen.

It was almost surreal. I can almost always count on going into a number of the stores here and grab ribs if I need them. But it was like there was an epic run on ribs or something. So after wasting an hour trying to find fresh ribs, the only option was to try a quick thaw.

Like you said, hindsight is always 20/20 and it would have been better to not rush and serve those. So, lesson learned.

Shizuoka, that was exactly the problem with the frozen ribs. While I was out, I stopped at four different places nearby to pick up some fresh ribs. Everything was sold out, which was mind blowing. Even walmart had everything but spare ribs. All the other places were out as well. One place had a couple packs, but they too were still mostly frozen.

It was almost surreal. I can almost always count on going into a number of the stores here and grab ribs if I need them. But it was like there was an epic run on ribs or something. So after wasting an hour trying to find fresh ribs, the only option was to try a quick thaw.

Like you said, hindsight is always 20/20 and it would have been better to not rush and serve those. So, lesson learned.

I understand now. Thanks!
It's weird how all of the stars can magically align themselves either in your favor or against you occasionally. I'm not christian but sometimes it really seems like there's some kind of outside force imparting its will on our lives.

Anyway, get some rest!

Cheers

Congrats on having another busy day. The kinks will work themselves out. While I have never been the owner, I have opened multiple businesses. Those things that go wrong in the first couple of days are to be expected. It is how you deal with them and plan for them in the future that determines continued success. You will be fine!

Hang in there man. You're getting some great On the Job Training. You'll quickly figure everything out and streamline your business so that it's most profitable and so that it doesn't burn you out. Wishing you continued success.

Epic journey. Best of luck. , I have to admit I may have missed them but lets see some shots of the inside and outside of your establishment

I want to hear the story of the inspectors returning - buying lunch or dinner - and wishing they were more useful at the beginning when they may have been able to help reduce the delays.

^^^Keep hoping, if they did that they would be admitting they were in the wrong.

No matter, anyone who can get there needs to and enjoy some real good Q :thumb:

Congrats!

Thanks for allowing us to come along for the ride, it unfolded like a novela, and it surely has been an epic journey.

Wishing you continued success!

Dang Jeremy ran out of Brisket and seems like some other stuff.
Closed until 5 for dinner and then it's just until everything's gone.

Just a little bit of free advice, but always try to keep your facebook posts positive and humble... instead of "you guys are killing me" try "you guys are amazing".

I understand exactly what you trying to convey but your customer base may not.

Just a little bit of free advice, but always try to keep your facebook posts positive and humble... instead of "you guys are killing me" try "you guys are amazing".

I understand exactly what you trying to convey but your customer base may not.

Nice Observation :)
very subtle - but true.

Oh I agree, but he's advertised being open from 11-8. So it's not to good for business in the beginning

After following this story since July, I stopped in today to check out the Q. Congratulations!! Excellent bbq. Great brisket, burnt ends, and rib tips (out of ribs but tips should be a good indicator). Pulled pork was very tender. I really appreciated the care put into the sides, which were also awesome - beans, mac & cheese, slaw, potato salad - very flavorful, and maybe a little too much for some and probably that's why most places have bland sides.

The bbq sauces, especially the spicy, were good. The Original (sweet and tangy) was more tangy and not sweet enough. But that's a personal preference.

Only quibble is the service - and because the doors just opened, it's a quibble. I'm sure it'll get better with experience. Couple of suggestions: Everybody working should know what's in stock and ready to be served. It's ok to be sold out - customers will accept that - just be clear what's available when we're making choices. It will speed up ordering and delivering.

But the food is great and I'll be back!

I am interested in the interesting update.

I have a real problem with the whole running out of food thing, that is a pet peeve. I guess in BBQ that is a normal and accepted practice, it still bothers me.

Back