• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Stash of Simply Marv, Dizzy Pig, & Yardbirds - Need Rub Combo suggestions for Butt & Ribs

uncblue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Good evening all... Got 2 awesome shipments in this week of rubs that I've been cooking with mainly on the performer...I'm planning to do 2-3 Butts and 3-4 racks of Ribs Sat on the Kamado... Possible I may sub the ribs for brisket if I see something amazing...

I've got the variety pack of SM rubs (Season All, Peppered Cow, Apple, Cherry, Sweet & Spicy, Sweet Seduction, Pecan) along with Dizzy Pig Dust and Tsunami Spin, & last but not least 5lb bags of Plowboys Yardbirds & Bovine Bold...:laugh:

As if that isn't enough, I also just in a jar of Blues Hog BBQ sauce...:caked:

Game plan is to sit her on 200-225 overnight with some pecan smoke so I can get a solid night of sleep (having a 15 week old boy makes that sleep extra sweet)..Once I'm up early am, check color & foil if needed but then bump up temp to 300...Pull when probe tender to rest until we're ready for it...:thumb:

This is all mighty fine stuff so I know the combinations are endless... Let's hear watch you love and I'll make a selection and post some pron... IF you don't mind, can you let me know as well how heavy you go with your rub... The SM is so much less saltier that I'm finding I can go very heavy and just get flavor vs a mouth pucker....

Can't wait to pull on ya'lls vast knowledge...:clap:

Last edited:
SM Cherry & Yardbird is my go-to combo for butts (might be good on ribs too). I'd say season butts well as its kind of hard to overseason a butt. I've tried a few different combos of SM season all, Spicy Apple, & Cherry on ribs (all good but I can't remember any combo standing out above the others). Perhaps Cherry & Spicy Apple. Yardbird is also great on ribs alone.

I like the SM Sweet & Spicy with Dizzy Dust or Yardbird as a light second coating

if you mean combining the rubs I would not do that until you know what you have

start simple.

nice score by the way

SM Sweet Seduction + Yardbird combo are my go to rubs for pork and ribs.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Keep the Ideas coming. Looking fwd to this cook

Back