MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I also find chucks very difficult to cook. I theory that part of the problem is the smaller size. Maybe some of it is which end it is cut from. Putting them in a pan with a lot of liquid certainly makes it easier, but isn't my typical method for any bbq. For a while I was cooking them to a little less then probe tender and pulling them out and slicing it more like brisket flat. That can work well too.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

My method is close to Bluesman's. Last week I made two and they came out very good. I wrapped mine at 160 and foiled with beef broth seasoned with garlic powder and freshly cracked pepper. I have found the meat probe tender at around 205. Sometimes I pull at 190 and slice thin and then reheat in broth so there are slices that are almost falling apart but not quite. On another note I really like smoking the chuckies with pecan.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

http://wolfepit.blogspot.co.uk/2009/...tout-beef.html - This.
YetiDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good anwsers I see here.
I've done it only once and I've have seen other Dutch Brethren do it live.
I think you need some (more) liquid and Phoil to Phinish the product.
I maybe wrong but I think you can't pull a chucky easily like porkneck/shoulder aPhter you hit the right internal temp.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador

Last edited by Phubar; 07-25-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
TurkeyLeg
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
I've only done 2 chuckies. I used this recipe both times. The second time I only used 1 jalapeno because the family said it was too hot. But to me both times they were phenomenal! You have got to try this recipe!!! Damn, now I want a chuckie sandwich!!
TurkeyLeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyLeg View Post
Damn, now I want a chuckie sandwich!!
I think I've got some left in the freezer
YetiDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
SteevieG
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Here's my method for mouth watering Chuckie

1.) Rub with S&P add some garlic and onion powder to taste
2.) Smoke at 275* over wood of choice until the IT is 160*
3.) Put the roast in a pan and fill with beef broth, rough cut bell peppers and onions. As a gage you want the bottom third of the chuckie in the mixture
4.) Cover with foil and put back on the smoker, or in the oven at 250*275* until it is falling apart.
5.) Remove from cooker and shred to discard all of the fat
6.) Put back in cooker to reduce the juices by 1/2
7.) Mix it all up real good
8.) Eat

Try this it may get you closer to what you want.

I am doing this today. IT is at 145* right now and doing nicely... Thanks for this. Wifey and I can't wait for it to be done!!!

18.5" WSM
22.5 WSM
And a nice propane grill that gets very little use anymore...
SteevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
SmittyJonz

I'm attempting one as I type.......marinaded for 24 hrs , no rub....we'll see how it turns out. I have done Round Roasts in Smoker and pulled at 190 IT and rested for 1 hr and they were Tough so I put all the slices in glass casserole dish and added half a jar of Spicy Brown Mustard and about half a Carton of Beef broth and popped in Oven at 250* for 2 more hours and it was REALLY Good.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
^^^that.

I'm not a big panner/foiler but I've found that chuckies do well being panned/foiled etc. I certainly get better results that way. Also - I've tried coasting up to a done temp during the rest and it never worked out for me. I think you gotta cook it proper and rest it proper - I'm guessing there are some folks who can nail a cook that way but at this point I ain't one of 'em.

IMO it wouldn't hurt for you to simplify your process - you have some great advice here in this thread.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #25
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

I've done one chuck roast, so I won't give any advice at the risk of sounding like one of those "internet experts".
But Here's my thread. I had some stress and resulting questions as the cook took place. Hopefully, you and anybody else can learn from our combined noob-ness.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote