• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New pit

wango

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all, new here and somewhat disfunctional with trying to post stuff (thanks BBQ Chief)

My sons and I built a pit to have by our deer camp. We had my youngest's graduation open house there and cooked 225 chicken quarters on it. I was a blast building it, then grilling on it with my sons. I took a bunch of pics, but can't get them to upload

Got it working now

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 445
Open pit I take it?:p Kind of reminds me of a foose ball table with all those handles! Nice job looks heavy duty. Welcome to the forum!

After we got it set and leveled. Then some pics of the first cook. It holds 115+/- quarters at a time

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 443
Everything looks good. With the size of that thing, hope you had about 10 men and a boy to put it in place...
images

Whoa, Nice!

That's a good looking pit! Where'd you get the materials for it and everything?

That's awesome!

The girl with her arms crossed in one of the pics is trying to be too cool to be impressed, but she is!

Once again I feel envious of you guys out there with welding and metal working skills.

I imagine if I had any I'd be even further into the doghouse with my wife though so maybe it is best!

Congrats on a nice build and great cook.

Thanks for all the compliments. We had fun building it and we'll have fun using it. Most of the metal came from a scrap iron place, it was all new metal. But I had less than 200 into the whole build. We won't use it often, but it will be great when we do.

Great post mate.

Love seeing home built BBQ's, and other stuff for that matter. Gives me plenty of idea's, much to the annoyance of 'She Who Must Be Obeyed'. :biggrin1:

Job well done.

One of the Pit Crew

One last pic. My Pit Crew and I. My 3 sons, my daughter in law and a loyal bbq friend of ours.

Attachments

• Dale's open house 025.jpg
    Dale's open house 025.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 89
That's a good looking pit! Where'd you get the materials for it and everything?

There is a scrap iron company near us in Lansing, MI called Padnos they have several locations. You can check their website to see if there is one near you, www.padnos.com if not I'm sure there is a similiar company. Anyway they have a 'useables' department where they sell old and new metal. They will even cut it to length, but you have to pay for each cut. Their prices are really good, about 1/3 of buying angle iron at home improvement stores. They have aluminum and stainless steel as well. I thought about using stainless for the sides, but I don't have a way to weld it. Cutting and drilling stainless would have been a nightmare for me too. So I went with mild steel and painted the outside with high temp grill paint.

Thanks everybody for all the compliments!

Back