cargo trailer question

atcNick

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Would you guys transport a 1200 lb bbq pit in a single 3500lb axle, 6x12 trailer? Not really sure what the dry weight of the trailer would be and how safe it is when you reach capacity. thanks.

You have to know the weight of the trailer so you know the cargo carrying capacity. Without that there is no way to answer your question accurately.

You should be fine if its a tipical 6X12 not home made. Make sure you have a good floor in it an enough support under the legs at the floor and tie it down good, i like using those ratchet straps for that kinda stuff. Typical traile that size weighs about 8-900 lbs if i recall.

Depends on the GVWR of your trailer and what else you are going to pack into it.

For example:

If you have a 3500lb capacity and the trailer itself weighs 800lbs empty, you could load your 1200 lb smoker and have 1500 lbs max cargo carrying ability. Of course that is assuming you have properly sized tires in good shape.

My advice is to keep your load well under the max rating, especially with a single axle trailer. With only one tire to the side, a blowout on the trailer at highway speed can flip your entire rig! Mightly ugly stuff, and trailer tire failures are fairly common with heavy loads.

I had a single axle 6x12 with a 3500lb axle. Ironically the GVWR was 2990lbs - after trailer weight I could have cargo of 1590lbs.

You should be able to find the specs online based on make, model and year. Make sure the tires are up to par and properly inflated.

I had a single axle 6x12 with a 3500lb axle. Ironically the GVWR was 2990lbs - after trailer weight I could have cargo of 1590lbs.

I have a similiar size trailer, it's rated for 1,900 lbs of cargo. I think the answer is "yes" but you won't have capacity for much else. You want to center the smoker with most of the weight over the axle.

You should be fine if its a tipical 6X12 not home made. Make sure you have a good floor in it an enough support under the legs at the floor and tie it down good, i like using those ratchet straps for that kinda stuff. Typical traile that size weighs about 8-900 lbs if i recall.

Depends on the GVWR of your trailer and what else you are going to pack into it.

For example:

If you have a 3500lb capacity and the trailer itself weighs 800lbs empty, you could load your 1200 lb smoker and have 1500 lbs max cargo carrying ability. Of course that is assuming you have properly sized tires in good shape.

My advice is to keep your load well under the max rating, especially with a single axle trailer. With only one tire to the side, a blowout on the trailer at highway speed can flip your entire rig! Mightly ugly stuff, and trailer tire failures are fairly common with heavy loads.

You should be able to find the specs online based on make, model and year. Make sure the tires are up to par and properly inflated.

I have a similiar size trailer, it's rated for 1,900 lbs of cargo. I think the answer is "yes" but you won't have capacity for much else. You want to center the smoker with most of the weight over the axle.

I'm not picking on anyone, but these are all conjecture. You need the GVWR and CCC for the specific trailer you will use. Even the manufacturer specs are not accurate since they are specs for the generic trailer, not as built. Every little thing added to the trail, including the spare tire, is above and beyond those specs.

Example...

Our old 6x12 V-nose had 3500lb axles, but the GVWR was 2,990 lbs. The manufacturer specs showed an empty weight of 1,200 lbs and a CCC of 1,790 lbs. . But, that is for the basic trailer. Adding a heavy duty ramp instead of hinged doors, diamond plate on the front, electrical package with breaker panel and outlets, interior lighting, flooring, finishing the walls, etc. brought the actual trailer weight up to 1,704 lbs and dropped the CCC to 1,286 lbs.

There is a sticker on the side of every trailer that shows the actual CCC. This is what you need to look at.

Back