MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Fire Ring Builds?

My high school senior graduates in May and we've started talking about a BBQ & camp out here at the farm for invited classmates - probably the football & wrestling teams. I would like to make some kind of fire ring - I'm thinking of something elevated slightly so I can move it around with the hay forks on my front end loader. I've heard of (but not seen) folks fabricating with rims from a tractor or semi sized wheel. Any designs, pics or suggestions would be appreciated.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

You need to talk to that Cowgirl woman. She can build pits and cook plus I bet she drives a pick up.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
You need to talk to that Cowgirl woman. She can build pits and cook plus I bet she drives a pick up.
Oh yea. Been watchin her posts with big time envy. Cowgirl does good eats to the max.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Heck, way back when, the guys who lived in our bachelors quarters on the nursery would use a steel wheel from a semi or a large steel wheel from a tractor. They didn't even bother finding a center-less one, they used whatever my dad would let the use. Turned it so the dish of the center was pointed down, filled it with wood and set it on fire. They even cooked on it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Heck, way back when, the guys who lived in our bachelors quarters on the nursery would use a steel wheel from a semi or a large steel wheel from a tractor. They didn't even bother finding a center-less one, they used whatever my dad would let the use. Turned it so the dish of the center was pointed down, filled it with wood and set it on fire. They even cooked on it.
Yep. I think I've located two 38"X14" tractor rims for free. Absolutely gonna figure out a "cook option"; wasting a good hardwood fire without cookin something just ain't right.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Is this party open to brethren? Farm? Bbq? Tractor forks? Sounds like one helluva time!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
Is this party open to brethren? Farm? Bbq? Tractor forks? Sounds like one helluva time!
Well maybe. Been thinkin I might need a chaperone or two with a football team plus a wrestling team & their girlfriends. Then again, if you are the type that needs to be chaperoned I think I already have my hands full.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Yeh, you dont want some of these folk, like adult children...im one of em, damnit.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

In the Aussie bush farmers offer use a disk from a plough as the BBQ plate. Simple it's dish share with a hole for fat to run out. Build a fire - use a few rocks to mount the plough disk. Top with grill plate - all good - BBQing at negligible cost.
John

Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

If you have a old 500gal propane tank you could cut one of the ends off and use that 37" bell as a fire pit/grill. It would be big but ya"ll could sit around it and cook your own stuff.

This is a 48" one.

Last edited by AustinKnight; 02-06-2013 at 07:39 PM..
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
landarc

Now, if you look at that image, you can see that this is a pretty cool idea, I would need on a little larger and more heavy duty, but, this is something I have been thinking about for a while now. The idea of an Auspit is also desirable.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

Now, if you look at that image, you can see that this is a pretty cool idea, I would need on a little larger and more heavy duty, but, this is something I have been thinking about for a while now. The idea of an Auspit is also desirable.
Now we're talkin! I'm thinking of a raised ring with this kind of cookin gear. As I indicated earlier, I've located a couple of 38" tractor rims and will start from there. Promise: if this comes togeter I'll add some build pics!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I use a tractor rim...it's not pretty but works well.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...s-n-beans.html

It's 30" in diameter and about 11" tall. There is a 3" square cut out on the bottom of one side for good air flow, and I use my weed burner when needed to get the fire going.

I love the thing.. it's a bit heavy but if I tip it on it's side I can roll it where ever I need it. Getting it loaded into the back end of the pick up can be interesting. lol

The cooking grate is made from a 1" tubing frame and expanded metal. You need the bar across the center to keep the expanded metal from warping over high heat. It's big enough that I can move food, skillets, pots, etc. off the fire when needed.

I really love the thing and use it a LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
lol Thanks John! I'm a chevy girl. I drive an old 3/4 ton chevy 4x4. I need it for pulling the stock trailer.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

The drum out of a washer works well. Bonus if you get a SS one. The little holes in the side give you lots of airflow. Probably not big enough for this event, but works well in the backyard.

Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->