MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #9916
sparky66
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro608 View Post
I got mine on wood also. No probs yet. But other have warned against it. Yet I have haven't had anybody say thers caught fire.doesn't seem to get that hot. But plastic
Yeah, wood furniture dolly should be just fine temporarily until I get the real deal. It is just the bottom lip that sits on the wood. My coals actually sit up about 4" above the drum floor anyway. This is my basket - it is one solid mother and heavy too.

uglydrumsmoker3(1).jpg

Doing another test burn in my UDS as I write this to get a better feel. gonna let it burn over night. The first one I did not have a suitable temp. gauge and I had a hard time dialing in the temp. Kind of started off to a rocky start tonight too. Temps shot to 355 and held. I tried backing down to 225 and finally got it there an hour and 15 min. later. Now at 235 and cruising. The main problem I'm for sure I was having was pouring a WHOLE chimney of flaming hot coals on top of the coals in fire basket. So temps immediately were too hot at around 355. Harder to get under control on the downswing then adjusting upwards. She wants to really run with the 2 1/4" bung all the way open so I have her dialed in right now with the bung open about 1" open and only one 3/4" intake open.

What about your's Jethro...how does she like to cruise?

Sparky
sparky66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #9917
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Mine likes 235-245 I light about 1/2 chimney dig a little hole in center of basket . I got 3-3/4 pipes . I usualy open all 3 til temp. Then have 1 open 1 at 1/2 and it held temp fine .

Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #9918
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky66 View Post
She wants to really run with the 2 1/4" bung all the way open so I have her dialed in right now with the bung open about 1" open and only one 3/4" intake open.

Sparky

Not trying to be bossy here but closing your exhaust leaves you vulnerable to stale smoke or sooty smoke. Usually the rule of thumb is you run your exhaust wide open and control temp with your intake or fresh air...
Good luck..

Also starting your UDS should be done "gingerly" try using about 12-16 lit briquettes instead of a whole chimney....! then coax her up to temp instead of trying to snuff her out... Much easier this way...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #9919
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Going to do a dry run tomorrow.
Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #9920
Mauricio
Got Wood.

Default My first UDS :)

OK, So I decided to build my first UDS, I send to make the firebox today morning and it was ready just a few hours later!
I brought the drum for $12 and was used to carry frozen orange pulp cells. It has a brown paint on the inside, I think is anti-corrosive. Have been thinking if burning it or sanding it by hand, but by hand will be hard to reach the bottom of the drum I think so probably will try to burn it tomorrow.

I have a lid from my old Weber grill which is almost intact, not sure if this kind of lid is better than the original flat lid of the drum or visceversa. If I decide to use the Weber lid I will have to remove the border lip to fit it properly.

I never have used (or seen) an UDS so this is a very interesting project :)
Thank you guys for all the information shared here!
M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDSmoker.jpg (57.5 KB, 643 views)
File Type: jpg FIREBOX.jpg (53.0 KB, 643 views)
Mauricio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #9921
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=Mauricio;2186281]OK, Have been thinking if burning it or sanding it by hand, but by hand will be hard to reach the bottom of the drum I think so probably will try to burn it tomorrow.

I have a lid from my old Weber grill which is almost intact, If I decide to use the Weber lid I will have to remove the border lip to fit it properly.

I have heard to burn from the outside with weedburner till the inside basicly ashes up. Then grind with wire wheel. But how ever you do it. Wear a MASK!!!

If you grind the lip on the barrel thiner the lid will fit the barrel.

Good luck keep us posted
That is a nice lookin basket

Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #9922
sparky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrbakcrzy View Post
Not trying to be bossy here but closing your exhaust leaves you vulnerable to stale smoke or sooty smoke. Usually the rule of thumb is you run your exhaust wide open and control temp with your intake or fresh air...
Good luck..

Also starting your UDS should be done "gingerly" try using about 12-16 lit briquettes instead of a whole chimney....! then coax her up to temp instead of trying to snuff her out... Much easier this way...
Hey razrbackcrzy, thanks for the feedback. So how do you suggest I run it with a lid with a 2 1/2" bung? On the second point, I figured out by my post above that I was putting too many coals in to start with. On another note, the drum settled in last night and ran for 16 hours steady between 235-250. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the loo and checked it and it was down to 210 so I kicked a few times and when I woke up it was at 235 right on target. I had the bung open half way with 1.5 intakes open. Next time for sure I'm shooting for half a chimney, maybe running with the bung all the way open?
DSC02919.jpg

thanks,

sparky

Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #9923
sparky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
I have a lid from my old Weber grill which is almost intact, not sure if this kind of lid is better than the original flat lid of the drum or visceversa. If I decide to use the Weber lid I will have to remove the border lip to fit it properly.
M.
Good to have both lids...Weber for large birds, etc. Also Mauricio, you can tap the ring around the Weber lid with a hammer and piece of wood so that it gently tweaks it out to fit the drum. I read and saw some pics somewhere but I don't have the reference handy right now.
I'm going to do this to my Weber lid that I'm desperately searching for right now.

El Salvador...all right! Had a layover there once but didn't get to stay very long.

Cheers

Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #9924
jordan85
Found some matches.

I think I have located some free barrels in excellent shape, but I am not sure if I should use them. The barrels have contained "Water Miscible Blanket & Roller Wash." Specs can be viewed here (N-282): http://www.novapressroom.com/products.cfm#N-200 Medium Dry Series

I found another thread from here on the forums from about 6 months ago regarding this, but there doesn't seem to be anybody responding on that thread that knows definitively whether the barrel would be safe or not after a good burnout.

What do you guys think?
jordan85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #9925
sparky66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan85 View Post
I think I have located some free barrels in excellent shape, but I am not sure if I should use them. The barrels have contained "Water Miscible Blanket & Roller Wash." Specs can be viewed here (N-282): http://www.novapressroom.com/products.cfm#N-200 Medium Dry Series

What do you guys think?
Looks like products used for printing presses? Not sure how to go about it. When in doubt, throw it out. I wouldn't risk it. I'd really try to find a reconditioned drum. they are like new. The send those things through a 3000 degree kiln to burn them off. A little more money @ around $60 bucks but well worth the time, energy saved and peace of mind.

Sparky

Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #9926
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Does a sandblasted barrel need a burnout too?

I'm trying to finish my first UDS and I've had a barrel sandblasted.
Do I need to burn it out prior to painting the outside and finishing it?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #9927
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Hey razrbackcrzy, thanks for the feedback. So how do you suggest I run it with a lid with a 2 1/2" bung? On the second point, I figured out by my post above that I was putting too many coals in to start with. On another note, the drum settled in last night and ran for 16 hours steady between 235-250. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the loo and checked it and it was down to 210 so I kicked a few times and when I woke up it was at 235 right on target. I had the bung open half way with 1.5 intakes open. Next time for sure I'm shooting for half a chimney, maybe running with the bung all the way open?
Attachment 69827

thanks,

sparky
Try getting a 4-6" piece of PVC that will screw in that bung with a cap and see if that will hellp your issue...See Image...if that dosn't fix it in the second photo you can see a ball valve installed on the front air intake and that will let you close your intake down a little bit to help control you heat...Good luck....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo2a.jpg (44.4 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg Auber_uds_action.jpg (55.4 KB, 614 views)
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #9928
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokainmuskoka View Post
I'm trying to finish my first UDS and I've had a barrel sandblasted.
Do I need to burn it out prior to painting the outside and finishing it?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
If the inside was sandblasted, no need to burn it out.Just spray the inside with Pam or generic spray.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #9929
jcinadr

While there is a chance the bottom might get hot, I don't worry it. Hot air is lighter than cool air, so it rises. The intake air is colder and heavier, so it will continually cool the bottom. Even w/o an elevated ash pan (which shields the bottom from direct radiant heat), I doubt the bottom would get as warm as the walls - and they are rarely more than warm to the touch.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #9930
moda253

The two inch bung should be completely open. Don't close it up. You need that to exhaust stale smoke and to create a good draft to pull in air in th bottom. Never use the exhaust to regulate temps.

Quote:
Yeah, wood furniture dolly should be just fine temporarily until I get the real deal. It is just the bottom lip that sits on the wood. My coals actually sit up about 4" above the drum floor anyway. This is my basket - it is one solid mother and heavy too.

Attachment 69792

Doing another test burn in my UDS as I write this to get a better feel. gonna let it burn over night. The first one I did not have a suitable temp. gauge and I had a hard time dialing in the temp. Kind of started off to a rocky start tonight too. Temps shot to 355 and held. I tried backing down to 225 and finally got it there an hour and 15 min. later. Now at 235 and cruising. The main problem I'm for sure I was having was pouring a WHOLE chimney of flaming hot coals on top of the coals in fire basket. So temps immediately were too hot at around 355. Harder to get under control on the downswing then adjusting upwards. She wants to really run with the 2 1/4" bung all the way open so I have her dialed in right now with the bung open about 1" open and only one 3/4" intake open.

Sparky
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker