MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default Simple duck breast

I don't remember when I cooked this. I think it may have been about a month ago between trips when I didn't have time to post. In any case, it is just a couple duck breasts, salt and peppered:

For me, the primary goal in cooking duck is rendering as much of the fat as possible. I want a thin, and crispy outer layer if possible. I cut the grooves to help with the rendering. I put these into a frying pan.

and use the side burner on the gasser. I don't think I've used that side burner for anything else. It is really good for duck though as duck has a LOT of fat and if I tried to do this in the house, I'd probably be divorced:

The pic is about halfway done. Look at all that duck fat in the frying pan, better there than in me. The grease continues to fill up that pan. I'm always amazed how much there is. I do not cover because I don't want the duck meat to cook, just the fat. When I've had about enough of this as I can take, I throw it on the grill:

I was in a hurry and just used the gasser. One word of caution. That duck fat is an EXCELLENT insulator. Even though I've had that breast in the frying pan, fat-side down for 10+ minutes, the meat is still pretty raw. I grill both sides for about 4-5 minutes, about how I would cook a 1.5"-thick ribeye. I don't want to overcook this. If you take duck past medium rare, I find it tastes like liver.

The color on this is redder than it really was, but you can tell that it is still pretty pink. In reality it was between rare and medium rare. Note the fat layer is much thinner and even crispy. On the nearer side, it's thicker than I would have liked. I probably could've kept it in the frying pan a few more minutes, but it's still pretty good.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Looks good Gore. I have never tried cooking farm raised duck but am inspired to give it a shot after seeing yours. I used to hunt A LOT of duck and can relate to the comment about over cooked duck tasting like liver (and sometimes steel pellets ). I always attributed it to it being wild, but then again I never cooked it medium rare either.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Phubar

Duckbreasts are awesome!
Too bad they are so expensive over here.
Nice job on that Phat Gore!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Gheesh Mongo, do you ever sleep?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
jestridge

Looks good! Need to butcher some of my Muscovey ducks
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Eggplant Man has no need for sleep.

Beautiful Gore! We don't get just the breasts in our local grocers but I'm tempted to buy a whole one now and cut it up.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
D0ughB0y
Take a breath!

I'd have to disagree that the duck fat is better in the pan than in you. Cut some potatoes up into cubes and fry them up in the duck fat. Best tater's you'll ever have.

The only other suggestion that I'd have for you is to cut the cross-hatch a little less-deep and render that fat out on a lower heat setting.

That looks yummy as hell though. I'd say that done-ness is really good.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Al Czervik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Not as much as I would like to...
(")_(")

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ughB0y View Post
I'd have to disagree that the duck fat is better in the pan than in you. Cut some potatoes up into cubes and fry them up in the duck fat. Best tater's you'll ever have.

The only other suggestion that I'd have for you is to cut the cross-hatch a little less-deep and render that fat out on a lower heat setting.

Sorry, I just can't eat taters like that anymore. As far as the rendering, that is the lowest setting my side-burner can do. I'd love it if I could set it lower, but it goes out. The low on the Weber is like a med-high on our inside stove.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

That looks really good Gore. Thanks for sharing.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome pics and recipe - just in time for duck season out here. I'm going to have to try this out - always have plenty of duck breast and goose around here during the winter - but I've always steered clear of it, because I can't cook it. I fried a duck breast once; once - it tasted worse than liver, more like tar glazed leather.....

Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
Al Czervik

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeadeere View Post
I fried a duck breast once; once - it tasted worse than liver, more like tar glazed leather.....

I used to take the duck and goose and grind it up to make sausage and pepperoni sticks...
(")_(")

Old 12-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
D0ughB0y
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeadeere View Post
Awesome pics and recipe - just in time for duck season out here. I'm going to have to try this out - always have plenty of duck breast and goose around here during the winter - but I've always steered clear of it, because I can't cook it. I fried a duck breast once; once - it tasted worse than liver, more like tar glazed leather.....
The type of bird and their feeding habits really impact the flavor of it also. Diver and swamp feeding ducks are going to taste of it... not so good. Grain and rice ducks are going to be nice.

My neighbor does a lot of hunting. He's usually got enough meat to end up feeding the dogs and the other neighbor's dogs. Sometimes, if he's got a lot of teal, I'll get some and cook 'em up.

A good milk soak overnight seems to cut a lot of the gamey/bitter taste. I've done tons of them and there are two decent sauces that I've found really compliments the birds... one is a honey and fig sauce and the other is a white wine garlic (almost like scampi).

Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ughB0y View Post

Duck fat is awesome to use in cooking. Render enough of it and you can confit some whole garlic which can then be used as a spread or used in sauces. Then take the fat after you have finished the garlic and fry you up some taters like DoughBoy suggested.

BTW, the OP's duck breasts look mighty tasty.

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
D0ughB0y
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihrer View Post
Duck fat is awesome to use in cooking. Render enough of it and you can confit some whole garlic which can then be used as a spread or used in sauces. Then take the fat after you have finished the garlic and fry you up some taters like DoughBoy suggested.

BTW, the OP's duck breasts look mighty tasty.
It is pretty amazing how much fat you can get out of the pope's nose if you do it right too!