MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

We started buying meat at Sam's, and now use a local wholesaler. Delivery to a cooler sure beats running around buying it.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

you can make a small fortune doing BBQ... of course you have to beigin with a large fortune! (sorry, i had to throw that one in there.)
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

This is a question I've also wondered myself. The answer is obviously yes if you got the customers and got your costs figured out appropriately. From what I read and has been confirmed here, it's a WHOLE lot of work and if you do it full time you will have NO paid leave unless you can afford a trusty assistant/partner. I think volunteering your time and labor for a semi-successful caterer/rest. for a day or 2 can only help you get a better picture of what's involved.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I have been at it two years now, we are small town here and it is hard. I am working my A$$ off and could spend every dime I make on things to make working not so hard it I had any money left to do so LOL.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
cooper
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Honestly, why screw up a great hoby, want to make money, low overhead, less work, keep the bbq for home, get a hot dog cart, less head aches, easier to get the board of health to work with a push cart, just think , boiling water, a few steam table pans, easy clean up fast set up, and plenty of cash ! Fast nickels always beat the slow dime !
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

What about offering brisket, pork and sausage po-boys served with chips and a drink? Could also offer a combo sandwich for a buck fifty more... This approach would be simple and appeal to the lunch crowd looking for a quick bite.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #22
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post
you can make a small fortune doing BBQ... of course you have to beigin with a large fortune! (sorry, i had to throw that one in there.)

was looking first to see if anyone stole my line, which I stole from a Mr. Mitchell back in the 1980's... I have no idea who he stole it from.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #23
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I make nowhere near the money that jbrink makes. However, he and I have something in common....Everything is paid for.

Low to no overhead equals less money you are paying for your eqpt.

Loosely translated. In this biz, paying interest makes you bleed, meant hemmorage, cash. When the guy pulls up with the meat truck, he leaves with a check. I don't go to the bank when I need a smoker, etc. I have pulled a paltry sum in income for my hard work, but I have about $25k in toys that are all mine.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Contact your local Small Business Adminstrative office, they are a free service that will help you prepare a business plan.

They will help you organize and run the numbers, they will help you find resources to quantify your target market.

They might be able to put you in touch with a retired person who was in the business who wants to give back and share knowledge.

You need a plan to get financing - and if you use credit cards, you will never get bank financing to replace it.

Too many people seek out the SBA after the fact, when it's too late.

The SBA will definatly help you approach this as a businessman.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote