A BBQ Brethren Event Battle of BBQ Brethren - Manorville 2011

Informed this afternoon: The Suffolk County P.A.L has decided to pull the venue. :mad2:

We are 13 weeks out.

Unless I can find another venue by April 6, this contest isn't happening.

I HAVE CALLS OUT LOCALLY AND HAVE NOT GIVEN UP YET.

Nothing like advanced warning. I'm open to ideas.

Phil,

Given the situation, as disappointing as it is, I KNOW that you are doing all that you can and want to say THANK YOU!

Why the April 6th deadline though?

I realize that is 3 months from scheduled date, BUT . . . . what about the possibility of moving it back in date closer to its origins in Octoboer if that is what it takes?

I'm just throwing out a possibility, other than the all or nothing scenario of April 6th or no contest.

I am sure that you don't want everyone calling you while you are trying work this out, but If there is anything that you think I or anyone else may be able to do to help, just say the word.

On a side note . . .

Why the hell is Poobah the one that we have to hear this from, and not P.A.L.?

They had no problem cashing my check on 03/10, and then just two weeks later bow out?

I respect and thank Phil for telling us as soon as he knew, but he does so much for us and BBQ that he shouldn't have to be the one stuck delivering the bad news that was not his doing.

I bet one reason they pulled the event because every Vendor they over charged last year to come to the event would not return because no one made any money. Vending fees is a huge part of an events success and when you screw vendors and make up numbers, this happens. Nothing to do with the BBQ Brethren, just the the PAL.

You should try and put something together at Nassau Coliseum.... Nice and close to me hahahha

I bet one reason they pulled the event because every Vendor they over charged last year to come to the event would not return because no one made any money. Vending fees is a huge part of an events success and when you screw vendors and make up numbers, this happens. Nothing to do with the BBQ Brethren, just the the PAL.

That was really f'in helpful. If I remember correctly, since u did not pay your contest entry fees(which is independent of vendor fees) and you competed, your fee was significantly reduced at the expense of the prize pool.

Thanks for your input, its really helpful.

And no, your wrong.

Acutually I did pay a f'in entry fee. and now owe $400 in fines after my paperwork was lost for the health department by the organizer. really why they cancel the event? must have made too much money!

That was really f'in helpful. If I remember correctly, since u did not pay your contest entry fees(which is independent of vendor fees) and you competed, your fee was significantly reduced at the expense of the prize pool.

Thanks for your input, its really helpful.

And no, your wrong.

Phil,

Why the April 6th deadline though?

I realize that is 3 months from scheduled date, BUT . . . . what about the possibility of moving it back in date closer to its origins in Octoboer if that is what it takes?

I'm just throwing out a possibility, other than the all or nothing scenario of April 6th or no contest.

April 6th is the 90 day deadline by KCBS to change dates or venues and retain sanctioning.

If we loose sanctioning due to date change, and find a venue, we will go under BBQ Brethren rules which have been approved by the American Royal for a Qualifer. I have not submitted them to The Jack yet.

Acutually I did pay a f'in entry fee. and now owe $400 in fines after my paperwork was lost for the health department by the organizer. really why they cancel the event? must have made too much money!

um.. no. But irrelevant.

They made alot of money Matt, a whooping $5,000 from the buck a bone fundraiser, and the money went to The PAL Special needs children and Autism. The total take was approx 10k, and the contest costs them 5K in supplies. The rest went to the kids. Sorry u felt screwed and they laughed all the way to the bank.

In a nutshell, Richie(the organizer) is as sick over this as I am and is he is also making calls on our behalf helping to find another venue. It was pulled by the P.A.L Board of Directors and the reasons given were all speculative. It was a shock to him too. Especially since he has already started his efforts to prepare and he had full commitment in January. The carpet was pulled out from under him too.

BTW, if it makes u feel any better, Im out almost grand in advertising and sanctioning fees spent so far. Its sux, but i rationalize it as the costs, and risks associated with a contest.

Whatever you say Phil. I am sure the money from the vendors there contributed no money to the profits. Ok, take 200 from the 1k I paid for my spot, there is your entrance fee, so that makes it $800 for the vending spot. I am glad they laughed to the bank, at least someone did. 5k for buck a bone, thats great considering the amount of people there. But I guess when it cost 10k (rough estimate) to make 5k it makes no sense to the PAL board.

well, they tried to explain to them.. alot of the costs were one shot investment. (the electrical distribution system and electrician was the bulk of the 5k costs) and now they own it so its not a factor... Same with water distribution. Tee shirts were recouped, etc..

They had major sponsors for this year, and the Long Island Custom Car show was coming down. They also had better commitment from the football, soccer and lacrosse folks to come down, who were expected to be there last year and did not show(that was the missing 10k estimate in the public). It was discovered after the event that they were never notified. That was a lesson learned and the entire PAL membership and support staff was in the mix this time.

This isnt the doing of the PAL support folks and those whop actually did the work. This was done by the suits in the board room. It doesnt seem to be about the money, but about the time invested by the PAL personal. The BOD feels the manpower can be better used elsewhere.

can we move it back to sayville

I like that.!!!!Even though it rained every year it added to the character of that venue.

I thought Holtsville was Awesome and Rich was awesome to all the teams. It really sucks that good things have to be stopped for red tape BS.

Maybe having a Buck-A-Bone at Sayville would entice the COC to have it back. Is this even a option?????

First time I'm seeing the date. :cry:
Am I the only local Brethren who does Nascar?
That is Pocono race weekend.
Sorta like "I'll be at Dover".

EDIT: CRUD! So sorry to hear the PAL diss...

Long Island...Rhode Island....hey, I know of an RI venue you could get, but too long for vendors and sponsors to go I suppose. Maybe we could charter a ferry :becky:

Rhode Island???

How about this...move it to Rhode Island...get the Jack Daniels folk to "recognize" it and I think the winner goes to the Jack. I do not know of another Rhode Island qualifier...is their one?

That would be awesome if another venue cannot work.

Oh yeah...Phil and Matt...round 4...let's get it on!!!

THAT Stinks...Wow we really must of pissed off the groundskeeper :boxing:

Hey i hear Sayville is really nice, BBQ BRETHREN THE REUNION TOUR

Phil all your work is greatly appreicated
Now i know your crazy, just a lot of sh** to deal with
in every aspect of this game(dont know how you do it, the
why, i know...but questioned for your own sanity:crazy:

How about near a hospital, mather.st charles whatever
Bald hill ampithereater parking lot(throw some in live music)
allstate got some nice property off north ocean & a monstourous parking lot.....

Goodbuddies, we settled our differences and moved on. LIke two pissy school girls we started and ended it privately like men. I am happy to move on from this. We were both in pissy moods and may have over reacted.

sayville is out folks. They dont want to have a bbq contest in the festivals.

Bald Hill is way out of our league for rental fees. We really need to find a private venue that has an existing event going on, otherwise we are paying thru the nose.

Back