Protecting my Dera?

S

sigmasmokers

I had a question about seasoning my Bandera. I have read you guys talking about oiling the outside and heating it up to protect the finish? Mine is pretty new and I have used it about 10-15 times. Is it too late? There is a little rust on the top of the fire box but not bad. Any advice?

SC

It's never too late to wire brush it and oil it! Unless, of course, the brush goes through!! :D

oil

I guess vegetable oil would work and do I season it like I would a cast iron skillet. Wire brush it good and rub oil on it with a cloth and the start a fire in it to heat it up?

I have had a steel pipe grill that I made 7 years ago, and I only seasoned the inside. Whenever I start to see rust, I brillo pad the area and spray with high temp rustoleum (only the outside, as the paint is probably toxic several times over).
Noah

wire brush or light sand and rust spots and hit them with some high temp paint. If there is no rust, next time ya cook, just rub some oil on the outside.. its will make a tacky film that will dry and leave a coating that will make water bead right of.. jsut another layer of protection. By Bandera has been out all winter uncovered... and aside from the top of the firebox, there is not a bit of rust on it where its been coated.

Back