• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

FIRST PORK BUTT advice/help/suggestions?

Well, just got to the thread and wondering how it is going? Is dinner ready yet? The pit will get more efficient with the mods, but, it is a bit of a charcoal hog, as you now know. Some folks drape a heavy fire blanket over the smoker, if you are facing south, you can leave it in the sun in WC and get some more free heat from the sun.

You should have done two butts, make this a practice, I can then come buy and pick mine up when they are done.

Everything seems to be going okay... Only opened the lid once about two hours ago for a peek (couldn't help it) and it was looking good...

Even with some mods there is just a lot of smoke that leaks out of this grill. I'll hafta really seal up all the seams if I want to really change it. Really I'll probably just do basic mods and deal with it.

I'll work on those two butts for ya from now on landarc! Let's see how this one turns out first though, haha.

Okay, now I ran the temp too high (>250) a couple times, my butt is boneless, and I have a cheap ass $10 thermometer.... but could it really be done at 7.5 hours?
The thermometer slid in and out like butter. Tried a couple different spots cause I was so surprised and they all read 180-200.

I pulled it. Wrapped it in foil with 5oz of apple juice. Wrapped it in a bath towel and it didn't fit in my cooler so I put it in my cold oven. Will that work!?

Put my two fatty's on when I removed my butt.

Pron to follow...

Yes, it's possible it's done - and probable from what you say. Time is a guideline. The oven is not as good as a cooler, but better than leaving out where there is some air movement around it that helps cool it faster.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the reassurance Dan!

I'm usually kind of a slave to process and worry too much about recipes and time guidelines too much. All day long though I've read ppl writing that time doesn't matter...

The bark is pretty dang dark, but oh well, it smells great!

Here's yer PRON!!!

Attachments

• bbq1.jpg
    bbq1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 119
  • bbq2.jpg
    bbq2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 117
  • bbq3.jpg
    bbq3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 117
  • bbq4.jpg
    bbq4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 119
Your right, it is pretty dark :-D. You'll still be in good shape though. Next time get a bone in at Sam's. Quite a bit more meat for the money.

That looks fine to me, Lunardi's butt, that is some nice pork ya bought there. I think you are right in there for cooking a boneless butt in terms of time. I think you will be happy with your product.

Final PRON

Attachments

• bbq5.jpg
    bbq5.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 99
  • bbq6.jpg
    bbq6.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 99
  • bbq7.jpg
    bbq7.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 99
  • bbq8.jpg
    bbq8.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 99
Nice job, looks like dinner was a good one tonight. Were you happy with it?

Dinner was real tasty boys! All the sides didn't hurt either. My lady made some great pasta salad and mashed potatoes, she mixes a parm ranch into the taters, real good! I did my beans with brown sugar, mustard, and bbq sauce....

Pork was good, nice pink smoke ring. Half away from the fire pulled real easy, near the fire was a little more sliced. I woulda liked a little more tender and juicy but still good for the first time. I'm my hardest critic, like I'm sure you all are too...

My big worries were not being ready soon enough or being inedible. My meat was neither, so it's a win for me.

I also mixed up a Carolina blend sauce. Based it with bbq sauce and added apple cider vinegar, apple juice, yellow mustard, red pepper flakes, oil and brown sugar. Blended that in with some cabbage for a slaw and put it on burger buns...real nice.

Thanks again for your help y'all!!

Looks great!

Just noticed that you were cooking on a Chargriller, I have the same one and have cooked many, many butts on it but have since moved to an UDS and a home built smoker.

I had problems keeping the temp consistent at first also and used a ton of charcoal along the way.

Here are a couple of things I learned with mine:

Keep it out of the wind. Seems like the slightest change in wind direction can really make the temps go crazy, both up and down. Ive done everything to stacking hay bales around it, moving to the other side of the house, to using a big cardboard refrigerator box as a wind break. Just be careful not to catch everything on fire, lol.

Keep your charcoal piled up rather than spread out over the whole firebox grate. I used a couple of bricks in the firebox to keep the charcoal from spreading out. I also started building a small fire inside the cooking chamber opposite the firebox, just 15 - 20 briquettes to start and add 3 -4 every hour or so. I eventually made a charoal basket for the firebox but kept using the bricks inside the cooking chamber to deflect direct heat. You can still cook 4 butts at once this way, two on the upper shelf and two on the bottom.

I think these two things really helped me to start turning out some pretty darn good barbeque. Hope it helps. Just remember, practice, practice, practice.

I agree with one of the other post. Don't just cook 1 butt. They freeze well and make nice easy meals so fill your cooker up. Assuming you plan on having sides, you should have plenty of pork to feed your crowd. For a 7 pound butt, I usually cook about 9 hours at 225-250. I have injected pork butts and just use a water solution of the rub. Works great. Do not mop and foil after about 5 hours.

Back