THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just finished this thread and then poof here it is again lolk
This talks about the butter method
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36579

its funny how, just when you think you understand something....

Thanks for everyone's input!

For semi-full disclosure, my original question had nothing to do with frying to get crispy skin. I was actually looking to fry to achieve bite through skin.

I started thinking along these lines after receiving a box of wings from a local joint that fries the stink out of them. By the time I opened the box and ate one, they were far from crisp but the skin had turned to what amounted to wet tissue paper.

Yes, absolutely. If the rep or a contest official didn't see it being fried, poached, parted and put back in the cooker or whatever, no sculpting, no sauce pooling, there are no foreign objects or illegal garnish in the box, and it's the correct type and cut of meat how can they arbitrarily decide how the meat was prepared and DQ the box?

If I am on the same table as that box my entry will sit there getting cold as the reps walk around the contest to find the cook and ask them if they fried it. No thanks.

And if a rep walks into a competitors tent at 12:10 and asks,.... did you fry this?... answer: uhh... no? I'm not saying anyone is a liar but does the cooks response really matter? Same deal with sculpting... did you mean to put 6 volcano shaped mounds of pulled pork in your box? Its the reps call and they need to make it on the spot. There is no time for a hearing on the legality of a box at a contest. If you dont want to get DQ'd, just cook BBQ.

If I am on the same table as that box my entry will sit there getting cold as the reps walk around the contest to find the cook and ask them if they fried it. No thanks.
That shouldn't happen. The table should proceed as normal while the rep pulls the box number and checks it out. If it's a procedural violation then they should come back and instruct the table to cross out the score for that entry and write in "1"'s . Other entries should not be impacted. At least this is what I was taught in judging class.

And if a rep walks into a competitors tent at 12:10 and asks,.... did you fry this?... answer: uhh... no? I'm not saying anyone is a liar but does the cooks response really matter? Same deal with sculpting... did you mean to put 6 volcano shaped mounds of pulled pork in your box? Its the reps call and they need to make it on the spot. There is no time for a hearing on the legality of a box at a contest. If you dont want to get DQ'd, just cook BBQ.
Big difference - You can see sculpting. Trying to determine how something was cooked by looking at the end product is iffy at best. People are always talking about how the judges need to take the time, effort and money that cooks put into an event into consideration, shouldn't they be afforded the same consideration if there is a question about preparation?

If you get right down to it, cooking method DQ's should be caught and doled out on-site. If an entry makes it to the judge's table unchallenged, then nobody is really in a position to determine how it was cooked with any accuracy.

Back