MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
heavydpj
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Modifying Traeger to increase BTU

Hi, I'm a noob on this forum, but I love the subject matter!

I have a Traeger Lil Tex Elite that I absolutely love. However, in typical man-fashion, I want to make it better.

Specifically, I want to increase the BTU to get temps over 500f (heck, I'd be happy with over 450).

I noticed that Traeger website has a "deluxe" grill with a 3600 BTU output with the same 418 in2 grill space, so I know it can be done.

My hypothesis is that I can either increase the auger speed, or increase the airflow (probably both). Anyone have any experience with this?
heavydpj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Upgrade the auger motor to the 2.5 RPM one. If you do that and put it on high, you might get the high temps you want. You also may need to replace the controller. Texas Star Foods has the updated motor in stock.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

I met a guy at a competition that swore that if you remove the heat deflector, you can get a nice sear on a steak on one. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it at some point.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
heavydpj
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Upgrade the auger motor to the 2.5 RPM one. If you do that and put it on high, you might get the high temps you want. You also may need to replace the controller. Texas Star Foods has the updated motor in stock.

dmp
I will make that my first stop! Thanks! I'll let you know how it works out.
heavydpj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Just a quick note, I'd hate to have you buy something you don't need: If you can't achieve the temps on on your controller, the upgraded motor will help. If your controller has a "high" mode which is always on, as opposed to just 450 degrees, the upgraded motor will help. If you find that it takes too long to reach a set temp, or once your temp drops enough to push the controller into "Raise temp mode," the updated auger motor will help. If none of those are an issue, you might not see any bennefit from the new motor, and I'd go for a new controller (or switch) first. The motor's bennefit is seen by those who havea controller which allows them to either seek higher temperatures or run the auger 100%.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
MODIFICATIONS, traeger