Brisket Flat (only) cooking tips needed

C

ColdSmoke

A friend has asked me to cook up a 5.5# brisket flat. He bought it seperated (no point) and cryo packed.

I want to throw it on the drum this weekend but have no idea about cooking this thing. It has a nice 1/2" even layer of fat on on side. I assume that I want to thin that down a little bit (maybe 1/4"). Do I cook it fat side up or fat side down?

What temp. is brisket best cooked at? For how long/what temp?

Anything special needed to be done? Injecting, foiling while over heat?

At this point I plan to dry rub 24 hrs in advance and cook it up. I hope don't ruin my buddies chuck 'o beef.

Since it is a flat only, I would foil it with a little apple juice or beef broth at 165* for the remainder of the cook.
Since you are cooking on the drum, I would cook fat side down. You might even want to flip it a time or two.

I have been cooking high heat lately, but have not with just a flat. So maybe go 225-235* or so.

I did a flat on my drum last Saturday.....did it at 300-325....started fat side down, flipped after an hour....took the meat to 165 then foiled...pulled from smoker at 195, about 1 1/2 hours in foil....let rest in foil so residual heat brought that temp up...came out good...bark was missing though....

I cook flats rubbed with Slabs Wow Your Cow beef rub fat side down, at 250*, until 160* -165*. I then foil with a broth made of three Tbs Steve Raichlen's Honey Balsamic glaze mixed with 1/4 cup strong black coffee. I cook it til it reaches 190* - 195* internal, then rest for at least 1 hr.

My wife loves this brisket, and the juice that it makes is incredible.

I got this recipe from another site, and I can't remember who the original poster was, but I thank him.

Raichlins Honey Basalmic Glaze

/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

Boil over medium heat, simmer till thick and syrupy reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6-8 minutes.

Back