MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
beardjp
On the road to being a farker

Default BBQ Competition Etiquette for the Public

I am working on an imformation sheet on BBQ Competition Etiquette for the Public visiting our competitions. I have listed what I have so far and would love input from the brethren. We hope to post these on oue website and hand them out at the Nelsonville, Ohio competition.

BBQ Competition Etiquette
Samples and meeting the teams

1. BBQ teams love to talk about their cooking and there cookers. Remember this is a professional competition. Between 11:00 am and 1:30 pm BBQ teams are preparing their entries for judging and may not be very talkative. Please take this into consideration, remember these teams have invested a lot of hours and money to compete.

2. Do not enter BBQ team cooking areas unless you are invited to do so. Teams are very busy and have routines that must be completed.

3. Food Samples – BBQ teams are not required to make food samples available to the public. Public food samples are entirely at the discretion of the BBQ team.

If a team does not have samples available please respect their wishes. Do not take anything from any teams cooking area; this may be their BBQ entry you just destroyed!!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

I believe it is "their cookers". Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

maybe mention that many board of health departments do NOT allow teams to give out food.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If you have vendors, I would say something about no samples and see the vendors (using better wording).

Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

"Public food samples are entirely at the discretion of the BBQ team"... the Health Dept. is o.k. with this statement ???.. i do like the intent of this etiquette sheet though !!!
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
The Virginian

Default Not sure this is the right thing

I would not do it. I have rarely found the public to be more than a temporary problem, and usually they are pretty delightful. These rules will only keep them away from the teams.

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Most people are OK but I have had a person take food while I was boxing. Temporary maybe, but I wasnt delighted. lol.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Sidw

I think the sheet is a good idea - while most people are polite and considerate by nature, sometimes they really do not realize that during turn-in times they can be visiting and asking questions at a bad time.

Food samples - I think the public believes it is a part of the whole event -We don't mind sharing some with public every now and then, but I think it can be unfair to vendors who paid to vend the event.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
bbq ron
is one Smokin' Farker

i disagree, i would think common sense would prevail almost always IMO
gosm
bbq ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

This is a good idea, I have often thought of suggesting something along these lines to contest organizers. The information could de disseminated either by flyers or posters around the contest grounds or both.

I think it would be very helpful to also include a brief explanation as to how the contest actually works. I find that many attendees don’t have a clue as to what is really going on. A short, complete synopsis would go along way toward educating the public. Another benefit to providing an explanation to folks would be to stimulate interest in competition cooking. You could also include some info as to how one could become involved in the following years contest.

A well informed public is much more likely to behave and use common sense, although not a guarantee, it would help. The information would also serve to stimulate interest in BBQ in general, along with the local contest.

Maybe, as an added bonus, include a BBQ recipe from one of the attending teams at the bottom of the sheet for the folks to take back home and try.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Honestly, a lot of the potential misunderstanding by the public that we've seen has been engendered by the event promoters. The practice of running local ads that proclaim "Come and taste championship barbecue!" clearly lead the public to believe they're going to eat, and most of them further assume they'll eat FREE from competitors, not paying vendors for what is clearly not competition food.

Then there is the practice of charging at the gate, on top of having to buy food. We've had members of the public huffily and loudly insist we stop work to explain to them exactly what their gate fee was for. And I can see their point, if they didn't particularly want to purchase a t-shirt or admission to a car show.

These marketing and organization practices are often undertaken by the venue's publicists and clearly not by the BBQ contest's organizer, so it's kind of unfair to lay it at the BBQ contest's doorstep to deal with/reeducate/straighten out.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
Honestly, a lot of the potential misunderstanding by the public that we've seen has been engendered by the event promoters. The practice of running local ads that proclaim "Come and taste championship barbecue!" clearly lead the public to believe they're going to eat, and most of them further assume they'll eat FREE from competitors, not paying vendors for what is clearly not competition food.

Then there is the practice of charging at the gate, on top of having to buy food. We've had members of the public huffily and loudly insist we stop work to explain to them exactly what their gate fee was for. And I can see their point, if they didn't particularly want to purchase a t-shirt or admission to a car show.

These marketing and organization practices are often undertaken by the venue's publicists and clearly not by the BBQ contest's organizer, so it's kind of unfair to lay it at the BBQ contest's doorstep to deal with/reeducate/straighten out.

Ding Ding DIng!!

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

When you do finish your Etiquette Statement, I would love to have it to pass on to a couple of events that I think would actually use it...

Quote:

I couldn't agree more...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
The practice of running local ads that proclaim "Come and taste championship barbecue!" clearly lead the public to believe they're going to eat, and most of them further assume they'll eat FREE from competitors, not paying vendors for what is clearly not competition food.
Why else would someone attend a BBQ contest?

See Jeffs thread about Comp BBQ being under-reported. I believe we need to figure out a way to get the public more involved at contests if we want to the sport to grow beyond the competition community.

Most teams I see are perfectly capable of passing a health inspection in order to hand out at samples or sell leftover comp bbq.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

There are safety issued involved.

I would add a 2.a.

2.a. Do not enter BBQ team cooking areas unless you are invited to do so. Within the cooking areas are fire, hot items, and very sharp implements, that have the potential to cause severe injuries, especially when people become distracted and/or startled.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote