MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Wicked Good isn't bad, but I still like The Good One lump and Kamado Joe North American blend better personally. They are much easier to light and get up to temp really quick. Plus I think they smell better than WG.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
I hear nothing but good thing's about it, I just checked there site and I see they sell it in Austin now, I'll be tryin it soon. Ya once you're used to large chunks opening a bag of RO seems like someone is playing a sick joke on you, bet that flat was still worth the hassle though..

Sent from my SGH-T999
Ace hardware sells it with free ship to store.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #33
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
I hear nothing but good thing's about it, I just checked there site and I see they sell it in Austin now, I'll be tryin it soon. Ya once you're used to large chunks opening a bag of RO seems like someone is playing a sick joke on you, bet that flat was still worth the hassle though..

Sent from my SGH-T999
Yep, the size of chunks in B&B bags can be huge. Have found pieces as big as my forearm before.

Went to Costco today, and they seem to have the Stubbs lump. All I could find was one torn bag which I passed on, but hope they are planning to get more.

How much is Wicked Good in Austin? Its about $22 for 20lbs shipped to the local Ace.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #34
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I will be at Costco this weekend and will look for it here locally. Why do so many not like the Mexican lump Mesquite, it really has a good flavor?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #35
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
I will be at Costco this weekend and will look for it here locally. Why do so many not like the Mexican lump Mesquite, it really has a good flavor?
Mesquite wood in general has a very strong pungent flavor that can turn bitter. Some love it but a lot hate it (I don't care for it- I'll use it, but there are a lot of other things Ill buy first).

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #36
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Ace hardware sells it with free ship to store.
Ace is kinda far from me, but I've always known they've carried it, there are two more places down the street that sell it, now I know from WG site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Yep, the size of chunks in B&B bags can be huge. Have found pieces as big as my forearm before.

Went to Costco today, and they seem to have the Stubbs lump. All I could find was one torn bag which I passed on, but hope they are planning to get more.

How much is Wicked Good in Austin? Its about $22 for 20lbs shipped to the local Ace.
Cool to hear they sell it at your's, I'm going to try it out some other time if they get more to. The WG is probably that much at the two stores near me, I'm going to call them in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
I don't dislike mesquite its a spicy strong wood great on beef, I like it for steaks an fajitas but not anything long cooking wise. I've had a full basket of mesquite on my uds burn through before my brisket,ribs and a butt finished cooking at 300-350* it sucked, I dabbled in oven cookery when this chit happened. You should get a bag if they have it an your due for a re up, let us know how it works, you know how it works this whole brethren site and all

Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #37
Leadog
Found some matches.

Mixed woods means they can use anything they have available. I prefer to go to my local restaurant supply and get Mesquite or Oak charcoal. I'm paying $15/40lb bag.
That way I know what flavor I'm getting. I also get all my wood there.
Leadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #38
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

AustinKnight- what time would you suggest I swing by the competition? I'd love to check out the rigs down there and get a bit of insight into competition.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #39
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garzanium View Post
AustinKnight- what time would you suggest I swing by the competition? I'd love to check out the rigs down there and get a bit of insight into competition.
At turn in times(1,2:30,4) it will be crazy and folks are not going to be as friendly when you walk up to talk to them, come check us out brotha if you come by after 1 I'll have chicken you can try, come by after 2:30 I'll have ribs for you to try, come by after 4 I'll have some brisket point I'll share as well. Bring a chair and something to drink make your rounds come back and tell me what you think of the whole competition

Old 02-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #40
NCguyHere
Got Wood.

Picked up a bag of this today at my local Lowes. Will give it a test run tomorrow, being that it's raining heavily right now :(
NCguyHere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #41
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

My local Costco does not carry it. Hopefully they do in the near future. I was just there last night and only saw Kingsford and wood pellets next to the Traeger stuff.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #42
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguyHere View Post
Picked up a bag of this today at my local Lowes. Will give it a test run tomorrow, being that it's raining heavily right now :(
So lowe's has the lump now in addition to the stubb's briquettes?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #43
NCguyHere
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
So lowe's has the lump now in addition to the stubb's briquettes?
Yup. Couldn't have been there very long, it was still stacked pretty high. Now that I think about it, there were no bags of the briqs. There was no cowboy in sight either.
NCguyHere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #44
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

The 34# bags? Cool can't wait for your review!

Sent from my SGH-T999

Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #45
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguyHere View Post
Yup. Couldn't have been there very long, it was still stacked pretty high. Now that I think about it, there were no bags of the briqs. There was no cowboy in sight either.
Price?