Cookin' for 70.

bmarley5780

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Heya everyone!

Well, I got to cook for 70 people on Thursday.
They are mostly in the 35-40 age group with a few younger ones 25up.

They decided to have 2 meats and 4 sides.

Pork - (2) #7-8 butts
Brisket - (2) full packers
-------
Slaw - (1) tub / Sams
Beans - (1) BIG can / Sams
Potatoe Salad (1) tub / Sams
Hush Puppies - ? - Smithfields
-------
Soda - still thinkin
Sweet Tea - 4 gallons / Smithfield

How does the meats and sides look quantity wise?

I plan to cook the Briskets Wednesday night. To be done around 11pm(ish) So I would only have to cook the butts there on Thursday...

The best way to put it is that,

I would want to be at the front of the line!

I pulled up the Barbecue-Review catering calculator and pluged in the numbers and it gave me :

42.42 lbs uncooked pork with 55% yield(?) of 23.33 pds cooked
38.89 lbs uncooked brisket with 60% yield of 23.33 pds cooked.

I was thinking that this would be alot, along with the sides?

sheeet man this estimating is hard... LOL

With the price of Butts right now, I would cook between 4-6 Butts and then go with 4 packers. Go heavy on the pork though because of price. If you run out of brisket youll have pork to fall back on.

Just my opinion

Have a great event

Dan

How much is a tub or a big can? With 3 sides, I would probably figure on 1.5 to 2 oz for each side per person.

I agree on cooking more pork than brisket. As for sides, when I'm giving three sides I figure 3.22oz per person.

I'm doing a cook tomorrow for 40. I'm doin' 3 butts, 20lbs of beans,2 bbq pizzas and a bunch of abt's.
I'm thinkin' you outta double up on the pork or make a ton of appetizers!
And yeah, the estimatin' really is tough!

70 people

2 meats 4 Oz / meat

35 lbs uncooked pork = 4 @ 9 lbs butts
30 lbs uncooked brisket = 3 @ 10 lbs

3 sides 3 Oz / side

Slaw 3 tubs @ 80 Oz / tub
Beans 2 cans @ 117 Oz / can
Potato salad 3 tubs @ 80 Oz / tub

These are tight figures for 70 for meat but a little loose on the sides, if you know the 70 is an accurate count you might stick with them as is, if you want to cover some overs consider 40 lbs 5 @ 8 lbs pork and 35 lbs brisket, this would allow 3 servings / lb of meat instead of 4 servings / lb.

If you are pricing it as a total job, what you buy is what you serve, the leftovers belong to the client.

If you are pricing it by the plate, the temptation to cut too tight can be too strong to resist, then the servings would need to be accurate or the food will run out!

Na this is a "total job" as far as pricing goes.

Thanks Ezzy! I think I will go with the one extra pork butt. The guy throwing this did call tellin me they wanted the hushpuppies. . . I am thinkin about dropping 1 tub off of the slaw and P salad and getting 8-10 dozen puppies from Smithfields...

Hmm- I am starting to think that I might be the one dishin the food out to keep the portion control...

4 8lb butts and 3 12lb briskets should cover the meat. But like someone else said, pork is cheap right now, would be worth the money to have an extra butt cooked to cover your butt incase you get a bunch of big eaters.

Back