MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Default I'm a sucker for "manager's special" and brown beef

I've been on a yellow tag/manager's special/scary looking beef kick lately. Marked down because it's "sell by date" is "today" - oh no! [thinks to self about the brisket in the fridge for 5 weeks].

Or maybe it's got some "yucky brown things" on it that make everyone afraid to buy it, as is the case today. Just some color change from exposure to air or something, doesn't bother me even a little bit - especial+ly not at < half price. So I got this 2" thick porterhouse for close out pricing. The other side facing the tray was still bright red, just a big ol thick steak with some air trapped in the packaging and the top got a little discolored. Smells fine. No problem.

Washed it off in the sink, wiped dry, and into a vacuum bag and freezer for a rainy day. I've actually amassed a decent stockpile of a variety of steaks just from passing through random meat departments looking for that little yellow tag. Usually $5-6/lb. I guess that's how I get my kicks now.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

That meat does not scare me in the least!

Chow down.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
16Adams

I’d hit it. Yep. I would.
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Nice find!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
InThePitBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

You gotta love half price beef!

Old 07-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Most of the time, the dark spots are caused by multiple packages being stacked on top of each other. The pressure causes it to bleed out a bit, at least that is my experience of working the meat dept for 6 years. it will be great. Consumers are a picky bunch. If you have ever sorted food at a food bank, you will see ugly produce that would not sell in the grocery market. Real first world problems.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
2x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
2x Hunsaker Clone Smokers
FEC 100, FEC 120, FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 53 x 24 Patio (we feed it big pellets)
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
Pig_Farmer
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

Great score!

2019 SW Fall Bash Planning
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=274223
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
halfcocked
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : George

Good score. I bought a bunch of veal cutlets recently at half price because they were running out of time the next day. Though I don't believe him, he said they'd have to throw them out the day after. I would think the employees would haul them home gladly (unless they can't because of policy).
I see nothing wrong with these steaks though if the had a brown side I would scrape off the top layer instead of washing.
halfcocked is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
Dustin Dorsey
Knows what a fatty is.

You are just one step away from my mother-in-law who's obsessed with buying almost expired bread and freezing it.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
sickhick

score

Old 07-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #11
ronbrad62
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Ron

I'm with you on that. I usually check for manager specials anytime I do any shopping and great scores like that makes you feel like it was a successful trip!

Old 07-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #12
dward51

My wife lives for the yellow tag mark downs at our local Kroger. She is a mark down ninja!!!!
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #13
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
My wife lives for the yellow tag mark downs at our local Kroger. She is a mark down ninja!!!!
I even started making note of when a group of steaks in the bin hits the "sell by" date and I will go back on that day to see if theyre still there and have a yellow tag. sad. Usually its 2 or 3 days after I am there. Fridays have been my most productive yellow tag day for sure.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #14
tom b
Babbling Farker

I approve of this message

Old 07-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #15
Mandreyka
Knows what a fatty is.

That is aged!! I love managers specials
Mandreyka is offline   Reply With Quote