MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Pellet Cookers-Fad or Future

Has it been decided yet? I enjoyed my pellet adventure, but honestly don’t miss it much.
Pellet grills have been around a long time now. There’s just something romantic about those YouTube videos of Carolina Pitmasters shoveling coals under a whole hog that you don’t get pushing a button and Dialing in a temp.

I think the answer is both
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

I would say the genie could no longer be put back in the bottle once Walmart started selling them.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
Capt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cole

I hope that pellets never ever replace stick burners or any live fire cooking method. Tending a fire is cooking with love / tuning a temp and filling a hopper is cooking with lust

Old Country Pecos Stick Burner / Weber One Touch Platinum (Rehab in progress...) / Camp Chef Flat Top 600 / Caja China (Pig Box) / Weber Spirit Gasser / Weber Q 1200 Tailgator / Ooni Pro Pizza Slayer
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Pellets aren’t going anywhere but they definitely aren’t replacing charcoal or wood. That’s crazy talk. If anything is going away it’s gas but that’s going to be a while. Automation in general will be becoming more popular and reliable though.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

It's like propane grills. A lot of people replaced their charcoal kettle with a gas grill. More people have grills as a result.

Pellet poopers are the same. Same guys replace, others jump in who have never before.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
darita
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my MAK. I love my Primo. I love my WSM. I want to get a gravity fed. I want to get a stick burner. I want to get......

Old 06-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

The technology is superior and getting better all the time. Pellet cookers are here to stay.

But CD's, DVD's, BlueRay, MP3 etc. still hasn't "replaced" vinyl for the die-hards. That's the way this story will go IMHO.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
4ever3
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fad or future?

Yes!

That being said though, I agree with Brent, they will replace a TON of gassers in the future. Convenient as gas with better flavor and more options, they’re a winner!

Old Oklahoma Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe
Weber Classic Premium (Jessi)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
GMG Daniel Boone

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I think pellet smokers are a gateway drug.

I started with the Traeger because it was cheap and easy...then I found all you FARKERs, spent about $1,500 on new equipment and trashed the Traeger!

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
78novacaine
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : David

I currently have an Old Country Pecos for smoking, and a Weber kettle for grilling. I would like to add a pellet pooper and UDC to the lineup at some point for the set it and forget it convenience those times I don't have 4-12+ hours to dedicate to running the Pecos, however I feel that I will ALWAYS have an offset stick burner in my lineup.
78novacaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

As much as I love managing a fire, the pellet still has it's place in my home. Sometimes sleep is more important when you can still get a pretty good outcome. Pellets are here to stay, but they'll never replace wood. But, that's not really their intention either. It's just convenience.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
ulc
Take a breath!

I see pellets killing the kamado grills. Kamado fad is over.
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #13
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Depends. It was only a FAD for me. Can’t replicate the flavor of drum or stick.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #14
jermoQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I think it will be both. They are everywhere. Even a local electronics store near me has a bbq section with Green Eggs and Treager grills. The reason I got my PitBoss is because I wanted a grill that my wife could start to replace the gasser that was rusted out, and I enjoy smoking too. That sold me on the idea, and then I got a christmas gift from my wife and dad (dad transported the grill in his truck and bought me a couple bags of pellets). I have had a few disappointments and learning experiences, but I like the convenience, and the versatility of cooking the best. My copperhead purchase was due to peer pressure from you Brick-Cheap-Seak guys. I gave in. Anyway, it is not my only way to cook, but it is filling in the time that I spend shuffling kids, homework, and all my family stuff. I still have a couple of other types of cookers though, to prepare me for retirement in 80 years...give or take 20 or 30

If I was a cow
being lead to the slaughterhouse
I would try to kiss you one last time
before my lips were mulched into wieners.
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I must have missed it. When did you sell your Davy Crockett?
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote