MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete
Default BHC... going by the manual

Read the manual. It said not to season since its enamel and to cook a whole chicken for the first cook. So i lit the fire in a chimney and dumped it on the unlit charcoal in the basket. Set the intake to the setting based on my elevation. It said at 260 on the therm that is 300 at meat level. It all worked like it was written. Kinda liking this cooker!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
drunkenmeatfist
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : chipper

Looking forward to this one. Haven't fired my BHC up yet.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
pjtexas1

An hour later...

Old 02-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Is that 14” or 18”?
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Is that 14” or 18”?
18" walmart clearance.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
Little Pig Barbeque
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jesse Robinson

I have a pit barrel. I love mine. I would be interested in someone giving a comparison of the two. BHC seems pretty awesome. My walmart has it cheap right now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Little Pig Barbeque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #7
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pig Barbeque View Post
I have a pit barrel. I love mine. I would be interested in someone giving a comparison of the two. BHC seems pretty awesome. My walmart has it cheap right now.

Paging 16Adams...

Old 02-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
16Adams

I had the original powder coat zero porcelain PBC. An awesome cooker but after 4/5 years it was looking worn. Yearly washes scrapes and light repaint toward the end of owning. My cookers sit outside 24/7/365. It’s not their fault they get ugly. The PBC’s Of today are really sharp looking with their porcelain. . I was watching for a big sale on the PBC Jr. Never caught it if it happened. Then I thought of building an
UN-UDS with lots of bling and a custom grate from The Burn Shop. Then Me kicked in when I saw what you could get the BHC 18C for $45 and a $3 cover. I’ve not fired it yet. I still recommend the PBC to those that ask. It was The Pit Barrel Cooker that taught me you don’t need a ton of gadgets to cook great food. Light it hang it and great Q happens. Cool handles on BHC but the PBC’s horse shoes were/are kick ass.

My goal was to stack the deck so to to speak. I’ve got Ceramic-Steel-Pellet-Barrel and Griddle. I should probably quit buying now and trip over and see the Grand Canyon and Moab and fish a few places on The West Slope.

Last edited by 16Adams; 02-03-2019 at 06:32 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
drunkenmeatfist
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : chipper

So what were your thoughts after the first cook on this thing? How long was it running?
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
So what were your thoughts after the first cook on this thing? How long was it running?
Rock steady temps. Simple to run. Chicken was crispy and juicy. I'm impressed. Only ran 4 hours. Temps didn't go crazy when i opened the lid to temp the bird. I have no complaints, especially at $45.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
smoke ninja

cant beat the price

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #12
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Nice cook!! Gotta love barrels and hanging meat :) I do like what I see in the BHC! That said, I used to own a PBC and my experience with Noah and Amber was so over the top positive that if I ever decided to return to a small barrel cooker, it would be the PBC... although I’d probably go with a Hunsaker over any current barrel cooker. The reason I’d have a hard time supporting BHC is because of their dirty business practices. I know this was discussed here on the Brethren awhile back, but what they did just does not sit well with me. I couldn’t care less if others buy a BHC and enjoy the heck out of it... and I am happy for those that do. This is just more of a ‘principal’ thing for me... :)

Here’s a snippet of what was shared and discussed on the Brethren awhile back (this was also publicly announced on PBC’s FB page:

Pit Barrel Cooker Co, LLC, the world’s leading premium vertical barrel cooking brand, agreed to settle a lawsuit concerning Pit Barrel’s confidential business information and trade secrets filed in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado in December 2015. In the lawsuit, Pit Barrel also alleged that the Barrel House Cooker infringed upon its U.S. Patent (No. 8,919,334).

The lawsuit was resolved on May 25, 2018 with the entry of a joint stipulation to dismiss the case. As a part of the settlement, Barrel House Cooker, LLC and its parent company M.D. Manufacturing, Inc. of Bakersfield, California agreed to make a financial payment and then future royalty payments under a licensing agreement.

Pit Barrel’s President Noah E. Glanville stated, "We're pleased with the results that we achieved in this case. We will continue to defend our innovations and intellectual property which simply cooks some of the best food you’ve ever tasted, with no hassle. Amber and I appreciate the support of our loyal customers and the dedicated fans of the PBC."

Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
70monte
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pig Barbeque View Post

There are a couple of decent videos on YT that compare them both. I have the PBC and it does a great job. While I don't like what BHC's did to Noah and Amber, I would still probably buy the BHC if I wanted a drum smoker and got it at that price. I do like some of the accessories that BHC offers for their drum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV1gtPVrDi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcff3RJQdLg

Old 02-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
Jason TQ

Just stop it. I have 3 Hunsaker drums and I don't.....I REPEAT DON'T..........need the one that is like $45 10miles away...........
3 Hunsaker Drums
Big Green Egg XL
Pitboss Copperhead 5
2 Pitboss Whiskey Stills,
Pitboss Tailgater, Oklahoma Joe Bronco
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
Just stop it. I have 3 Hunsaker drums and I don't.....I REPEAT DON'T..........need the one that is like $45 10miles away...........
Maybe...