MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Default Thin blue smoke vs white smoke

I know thin blue is what you want when it comes to smoking meat. Clean burning fire is definitely better than a thick white smoke. But what about when you have something wrapped in foil? I know it's good to practice making and keeping a clean fire but when it's covered does it really matter? It's just heat now. Unless somehow the smoke penetrates the foil. Always wondered. Never asked. What yall think?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

JMO but having a good fire is so simple why even have one that isn't in the first place?

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
JMO but having a good fire is so simple why even have one that isn't in the first place?
I know I know. Just the thought. That's all!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
Gulf
On the road to being a farker

I'm not a pro. But, in my humble opinion, you will only be throwing away a dirtier looking piece of foil .

A couple of cheap grills, 1 old smoker, a 22" Weber Gold, a homemade [B][URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/110159595322558444862/MiniWSM?authkey=Gv1sRgCIXHlu_bv5upFg"]Mini-WSM[/URL][/B], [B][URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/110159595322558444862/TheOven?authkey=Gv1sRgCLyd6bbIseqYSA"]Wood Fired Oven[/URL][/B], and working on a UDS.
Some [B][URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/110159595322558444862/WFOOvenFood?authkey=Gv1sRgCLTcuMHN24_mbw"]WFO Food[/URL][/B] to look at.
Gulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
Bludawg

It makes your pit stink like a day old campfire. mine smells like BBQ even when it aint got a fire in it, oh and I never use foil except to clean my grates. If you're using foil why not just shut down and Xfer to the wifes oven and save the wood.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

I use foil in my pit sometimes when I'm cooking...so your telling me I should shut down and use the oven? Ha ok. Think that's the whole point of cooking outside is so you don't have to use the oven inside.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I agree with Blu. Don't gunk up your cooker. In the summer my back yard smells like bbq all the time. I have 2 cookers that sit in the sun all day.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #8
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
It makes your pit stink like a day old campfire. mine smells like BBQ even when it aint got a fire in it, oh and I never use foil except to clean my grates. If you're using foil why not just shut down and Xfer to the wifes oven and save the wood.
Because Blu! Ovens are for women, pits are for men even if a hunk of meat is wrapped in foil, it's still a man's cooker......And besides if your cooking in your pit and drinking beer it's just a couple steps to a nice tree where you can take a leak....and do other manly things while you cook......
Weber Spirit E-210
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/URL]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
SYBQ

Sometimes it is just a matter of throwing a bigger piece of wood on or one the is a little green to burn a little longer that may not burn right but with your meat being wrapped you will not get that bad smoke taste on it. Once the meat is wrapped you're safe.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #10
Faston
Full Fledged Farker

Shouldn't effect wrapped meat but I would always prefer to be burning a clean fire in my smoker and not having to worry about soot build up.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
okiej
is one Smokin' Farker

I always try to maintain a clean fire, but I do worry about it a little less after wrapping. Like Bludawg said, I don't want to stink up my pit.
Super-Fast Thunder Blue Thermapen
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #12
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Blue smoke has great flavor, white smoke is acrid and awful. Most rookies oversmoke with whatever smoke (usually a combo) and their spouses say "I hate smoke, don't ever do that again."
Typically the white smoke occurs when you wood is not yet hot enough. So common to see Comp people putting the next log up on the cooker to warm it up before show time.
XL BGE, Cold smokehouse, Kamado Joe Jr, Santa Maria pit, Backwoods Chubby, 26.75" Weber custom performer, Blackstone 36" griddle, MAK One Star pellet cooker, 22"WSM, Jumbo Joe, WGA, Smokey Joe, UDS, Wood fired pizza oven, UUNI

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2015, 05:27 AM   #13
mattybbq

Wrapping in butcher paper - still the same oven vs smoker? I think it is different and will run the briskets wrapped in butcher paper in the smoker. When I foil pepper stout beef though, that goes in the oven. It's just easier when smoke not adding flavor to jam in oven.
mattybbq is offline   Reply With Quote