MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #11311
FDIESEL95
Found some matches.

Here is my UDS I built this spring.
FDIESEL95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #11312
CarlBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey Guys,

I'm preparing for my drum burnout this weekend and had a question about using an old pallet:
Do you guys take out the nails and such, or just go ahead and burn it all and just clean up afterwards?
Also, what's the best way to get the fire going in the drum? I haven't done much camp fires, so I'm not really familiar with starting a fire outside of a chimney starter

Thanks for the help,
CarlBQ
CarlBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #11313
Hurricane
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasmadj View Post
Hello. I am only up to about page 100, so I apologize if this has been covered and re-covered too much.

I know (from reading this thread) that galvanized parts should not be used inside a UDS unless the galvanized coating is removed chemically or by super-heating.

I have chosen to just avoid using galvanized parts altogether since I don't have a weed-burner, a torch, or the required acid.

I used conduit nuts on the inlet nipples. The package said "Steel". Am I right to assume (now), that they are galvanized steel?

Should I be concerned about the 3 conduit nuts that are way down inside my UDS?

Thanks for any help.
I soaked my conduit nuts in vinegar for a couple day and it took all of the zinc off...like others said, I'm sure its a non-issue, but it's just one less thing to worry about.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #11314
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlBQ View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm preparing for my drum burnout this weekend and had a question about using an old pallet:
Do you guys take out the nails and such, or just go ahead and burn it all and just clean up afterwards?
Also, what's the best way to get the fire going in the drum? I haven't done much camp fires, so I'm not really familiar with starting a fire outside of a chimney starter

Thanks for the help,
CarlBQ
For my burn out, I just cut the pallets up a bit, threw them in and hit them with my weed burner to get them started. I didn't worry about the nails at all.

There are a million ways to start your fire. I imagine if you put a bunch of wadded up news paper in with your pallets then dump some coals from your chimney in there, I bet it would fire up pretty quickly. Assuming your wood is dry, the pallets will burn easily.

Also, make sure you've got your holes drilled in the bottom of your drum for your air inlets so that the fire can breathe. Otherwise, it will never get enough air to burn hot enough to do the job you need it to do.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #11315
PullMyPenang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
Yep, I did some research early on to make sure I hadn't read it somewhere else both on this site and the internet. As the original post says, I was trying to build a drum smoker and it was turning out UGLY so I started the thread to get advice and titled it Ugly Drum Smoker. It was a play on words of the Big Drum Smoker that is sold commercially.

I had no idea the name would stick and this thread would be around years later. It took a 15 months to get to 1,000 posts and another 15 months to get to this point.
And here it is in 2013 and I'm trying to wade my way through the biggest thread ever. It's an epic journey!

Old 08-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #11316
HAndyman
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Andy

I CAN'T BELIEVE I READ THE WHOLE THING!

UDS in progress

Old 08-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #11317
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAndyman View Post
I CAN'T BELIEVE I READ THE WHOLE THING!

UDS in progress

Me to......
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #11318
RT
Full Fledged Farker

I finished my UDS before I finished this monster.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #11319
R8ter87
Found some matches.

Default UDS sandblasted

Hey guys I am unable to burn out my barrel, do to where I live, so I had it sandblasted.

The attached picture is the final product after it was sandblasted it looks the same inside and out.

Do I need to do any further conditioning or is it ready to start painting? (the outside with hi temperature paint)

It seems to be down to the bare metal just looks a little rough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130829_141831_419.jpg (53.9 KB, 600 views)
R8ter87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #11320
Saleensuperstang
Found some matches.

Default A couple of UDS I built

I built these two for a friend and myself. Both were peanut butter drums. Both were sand blasted and powder coated. His is the blue mine the red. I fired it up the first time today and made some wings. They turned out real good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130827_181817.jpg (69.5 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg 20130831_151406.jpg (88.9 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg 20130831_175808.jpg (107.7 KB, 601 views)
Saleensuperstang is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #11321
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Nice !
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #11322
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Good looking UDS there!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #11323
KC_Law_Dog
Got rid of the matchlight.

Man those two look great! Did you know someone for the powder coating? I'm wondering what something like that would cost. I believe the business a friend works at can powder coat, just not sure if they can do something of this size.
KC_Law_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #11324
PullMyPenang

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I got my barrels the other day. I'm using 2 55 gallon barrels. I cut the lid & bottom out of one to use as the center section. The 2nd barrel, I cut on the top of each center rib to use as a base & a lid.

The 3 sections fit pretty tightly...should seal up nicely.

From left to right: Top, center, lid.

Here they are stacked.

I cut everything with a cutoff wheel on my angle-grinder. I left about 3/4" lip on the inside top & bottom, so that the center section will keep some structure. I may have to grind away some once I get the grills.

Note: They were both a seafoam green color w/ a bit of rust until I burned them out.

Well, other than paint & some sort of damper on the intake & chimney, it's done.

I picked up 2 replacement Weber grates & a Weber bottom grate at Lowes, along with several nuts & bolts. I then stopped at a metal supply place & bought a 12 3/4" x 50" piece of heavy guage expanded metal. Then I finally stopped by Walmart & got 2 thermometers for the smoker, and then 2 remote digital meat thermometers (all on closeout).

On the way home, I stopped at a buddy's house & picked up an old post jack (3" od) to use for intake & chimney (black iron pipe was going to cost over $25 for enough and this was free).

After several hours with the torches, welder, hole saws, etc., we have smoke.

I ended up with the first grate at 24" above the bottom of the charcoal basket, and the top grate about 14" above that. The thermometers are within 1/2" of the grates.

here's some more pics from today:

I put it through it's paces again tonight. I had it up to 800* for about 15 minutes 4 times & then let it sit at 500 for another 1hr. It's been holding 250* with the coals from that for the past 2 hrs w/ using foil as a damper on the intake & exhaust.

I still want to put some handles on it, paint it, and build dampers, but it's at least ready for meat now.
This is one of my favorite units yet! (he says years and thousands of posts later)

Edit OK 5000 posts in and I am switching to scanning a posts and looking at pictures. from what I can see I'm not even halfway through...

Last edited by PullMyPenang; 09-01-2013 at 08:28 AM..
PullMyPenang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #11325
HAndyman
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Andy
Default I say your'e good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ter87 View Post
Hey guys I am unable to burn out my barrel, do to where I live, so I had it sandblasted.

The attached picture is the final product after it was sandblasted it looks the same inside and out.

Do I need to do any further conditioning or is it ready to start painting? (the outside with hi temperature paint)

It seems to be down to the bare metal just looks a little rough.
sandblasted bare metal will start to rust pretty quick

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker