2012 Barbecue Brethren Film Festival Pitmaster T's - Purgatory Stout

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHvJNjHShj0"]Pitmaster T's Half Assed BBQ Video Series - Purgatory Stout - YouTube[/ame]

In a recent poll 58 of you voted to choose what video will start off the First Annual bbq-brethren.com Film Festival, you chose "Purgatory Stout" First.

Here is it, installment ONE.

Purgatory Stout

Pitmaster Commentary

Shack Attack got me off my ass and started our new and first annual Film Festival.... Thanks Boshizzle and Keith Lilly.... Jizzle inspired Puragtory and Lilly inspired the Stout (well his ignorance did).

Here is what happened... I did an Oyler consult at a local resturant owned by some VP of Applesbees from way back. He was complaining about how he was going through having to make 50 gallon of sauce every few days and in the middle of me looking at his recipe (in his case) everytime he made his sauce to store in the walk in in those 5 gallon buckets he was adding nearly 40% water. I said, dude.... why don;t you make your sauce base, store it as a stout (which will cut down the labor of actually using and cleaning the big water jackets sauce vat) --- this it would cut this down 40% as well and you would have to do it almost half as often, then when you need sauce, simply add your portion of water - this also frees up your cook. Then in the middle of it... after making this Purgatory/Shack thing.... I decided to take my own advice... thus the video.

Oh... the code of ingredients is actually embedded in flash titles as I say them... you have to keep your eyes peeled.

I will give you a break.... find a distributor of Cajun Chef. For instance, a gallon of this is like $4 or $5 bucks at Restuarant depot. It is what I call Justin Williams. It LOOKS like Tomato sauce in the film.... its not!

Pitmaster T's Puragatory (Stout)

Mix in Stainless or Plastic container!

6 Parts Aretha Franklin
1 Part Justin Williams
1 Part Billy Ocean
½ Part Sir Duke - ½ Part Fred Wesley
1 Part Spice Pack

Spice Pack

1/3 Tina Turner
1/3 Larry Graham
1/3 George Clinton and the Parliaments**

Optional – three chicken and three beef bullion cubes.

**Reduce George Clinton to half above if you use the bullion cubes.

Grind or blend up bullion in a little stout liquid. Add spices and enough liquid to make a thin slurry. Blend again. Heat in Microwave 4 to 5 minutes. Blend again. Add to stout, make it funky, close the high hat up and let it break out in a cold sweat for a couple of Boogie nights.

This is the concentrated version of Purgatory... the “stout.” Do not adjust for two days. To adjust to preference see video. Add lemon juice and water and sugar to balance.

Final Purgatory Balance
~6 Parts Stout Base
~2.5 Parts Billy Ocean
Chubby Checker to Taste
Little Richard to Taste

Currently we are prepping parts as quarts. We are adding one cup of Chubby Checker to every 9 quart batch (water and base) and one cup of Little Richard.

There are 8 ounces to a cup, 4 cups to a quart, and 4 quarts to a gallon.

I LOVE the stout. I am like Boshizzle and can drink it... however.... when I add the water at the adjustment in the end... I can drink GLASSES of it! LOL

But in making it a stout and holding it.... I can pull some and go a myriad of ways. And I am... I may actually never make the Hit Me Fred, Beale Street, Candy and others WITHOUT the STOUT!!!!

image002.jpg

The stuff I make for pork (And marinade, and well...heck for lotsa stuff) is pretty much pure vinegar with cayenne, a bit of salt and a wee bit of lemon. I'm thinking the stout is right up my alley.:thumb::thumb:

The stuff I make for pork (And marinade, and well...heck for lotsa stuff) is pretty much pure vinegar with cayenne, a bit of salt and a wee bit of lemon. I'm thinking the stout is right up my alley.:thumb::thumb:

I love the look of it when it pours out of those big ole pots!

Well Chris, not sure what details you want so I will try to explain.

I am a nutcase and INSIST when I do the Carolina to have three sauces. This is very labor intensive. ON ME!!!! LOL

Neil's mama says One sauce and that's it but I am just hard headed.

In the middle of telling one guy to simply make a concentrated version of his sauce without all the water so he can reduce the amount of times he has to stop everything and make it, (i.e. he can just have a schmo add water to a stout when needed) a light went off because I have 3, 6 quart buckets of stout in my fridge that essentially needed to have water added from anywhere to 4 to 3 or 6 Q to ~3 quarts to make the Purgatory.

Then, with my feet killing me from making the sauces... well... I thought..... what if I used the stout as a flavoring agent for the other two sauces? They could essentially be thrown together by a moron too... Thats a big load off me.

So essentially what this mean is, when I get a chance, I am going to buy some dang Ketchup and Brown sugar, I already have Mustard... and I am gonna see how quickly and easily I can get to as close to Hit me Fred and Beale Street while using a minimum of other ingredients and the Stout. Like it may be, say, one part stout, 2 parts ketchup, one part brown sugar and 1/2 part water???? I have no idea if that will work but that's what I would like to do.

Thanks. I was thinking the same, so your comment piqued my curiosity in case you had done that to your other recipes already.

I just whipped up a batch and looking forward to it. I made it similarly sized to Boshizzle's Shack Attack, meaning I used 1/4 cup as a "part". The only tricky part was the Bouillon, but luckily I was prepared to tackle that problem because I have this powdered bouillon in beef and chicken flavor:

033600000361p.jpg

One teaspoon of this is equivalent to one bouillon cube.

Since my version used 1/4 cup as a part, but this recipe used a quart as a part, that means my version was 1/16 of the original recipe. This means I needed 3/16 teaspoons each of beef and chicken...kinda tricky since my smallest measuring spoon is 1/8 teaspoon. No problem though. I needed a total of 6/16 teaspoon of beef and chicken powder combined which equals 3/8 teaspoons. That I can do.

So I combined 1/4 teaspoon each of beef and chicken bouillon powder together, mixed it up, then pulled out 3/8 teaspoons from that combined mixture to put in the sauce. This left 1/8 teaspoon behind which I can use to season popcorn or something.

So in the end, my version was the following, and is the same ratio as the original...only smaller.

1-1/2 Cup Aretha Franklin
1/4 Cup Billy Ocean (on the iPad)
1/4 Cup Justin Williams
2 Tbsp Sir Duke
2 Tbsp Fred Wesley
4 tsp Tina Turner
4 tsp George Clinton
4 tsp Larry Graham
3/8 tsp Chicken/Beef Bouillon powder blend (see above)

The hardest part is the wait.

Hold it... in the FILM I am using 2 quarts as a PART!!!!!

LOL

The recipe printed is our standard 1 quart is a part for ease.

However, who cares, its Half Assed Cooking and my next damn batch I am going to up to 1/3 part actual beef and chicken base and NO salt to see what that is like.

Hold it... in the FILM I am using 2 quarts as a PART!!!!!

LOL

The recipe printed is our standard 1 quart is a part for ease.

However, who cares, its Half Assed Cooking and my next damn batch I am going to up to 1/3 part actual beef and chicken base and NO salt to see what that is like.

Dammit! Now you are giving me reasons to make more.

Back