currently using WSM bullet looking to make the next step

How is everyone fitting so much meat on their smoker. Maybe I don't have an 18.5 but a 14". How can I tell, this was a leftover from the previous homeowner? Also, do people cook meat on the second grate closest to the coals, how are you able to reach it to gauge temperature?

:shock: you should be able to tell just looking. If not try a "tape measure" :twitch:

Am I measuring the Vertical from ground to top or the grates? Remember, no such thing as a stupid question just stupid people lol

I like the idea of adding a temp gadget. Any suggestions?

The one I linked in my post is very economical and works great on the WSM. It does not have WIFI but in all fairness, it doesn't need it. There are several WIFI options, but plan to spend north of $300 to get into one of those setups.

My recommendation was based on your budget.

Right o q what are you talking about tired of the rust on a Weber I've had mine 18 years not one bit of rust it's uncovered all the time during winter in Ohio and some winter's you can't even see it because it's covered in 2 feet of snow not one bit of rust on it for 100 dollars I bet you can't name one other grill that can can out last a weber

Right o q what are you talking about tired of the rust on a Weber I've had mine 18 years not one bit of rust it's uncovered all the time during winter in Ohio and some winter's you can't even see it because it's covered in 2 feet of snow not one bit of rust on it for 100 dollars I bet you can't name one other grill that can can out last a weber

That was me, not him. The plated steel grates Weber uses these days are not the same as the old school ones. Not everything is created equal, but the nice thing is they'll usually send you a new one if you ask nicely.

In terms of actual rust on a Weber cooker itself, I have a little rust on my 2002 Weber Kettle around the handle where it's welded to the lid, but that's about it. However, it's been around the block a few times.

That was me, not him.

Thanks. I got very confused and wondered if I typed something odd! :biggrin1:

Love my webers. Will be getting a new kettle when my current grill finally rusts out. I've had 4 WSMs over the last 4 years and none of them have a spec of rust on them

That was me, not him. The plated steel grates Weber uses these days are not the same as the old school ones. Not everything is created equal, but the nice thing is they'll usually send you a new one if you ask nicely.

I noticed the extra chamber I ordered from the replacement website is a bit lighter than the original. Not sure why but when I pick it empty, I can definitely tell the difference. The lid fits so no real complaints.

In terms of actual rust on a Weber cooker itself, I have a little rust on my 2002 Weber Kettle around the handle where it's welded to the lid, but that's about it. However, it's been around the block a few times.
I am thinking of buying these to replace the plated grates.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Stronger-Design-Stainless-Grilling-Replacement/dp/B072JX5MY5/ref=pd_sbs_86_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B072JX5MY5&pd_rd_r=WNY98C3FHR083QM5J58Y&pd_rd_w=GxuxN&pd_rd_wg=xFrXz&psc=1&refRID=WNY98C3FHR083QM5J58Y[/ame]

Sorry about that I must have been confused just never heard anything bad about rusty Weber maybe very old ones but for the money they are great sorry about the confusion peace

Take a look at the Pit Barrel Cooker if you want a premade UDS. I have one, and in spite of my bounty of inexperience it has put out great food every time.

I too have a Party Q. Talk about Lazy but it sure works well.

111njoz.jpg

I lit my 15+ year old wsm at 7am on July 4. Put a 10 lb brisket on at 8am when the smoke was clear. Checked cooker temp a couple times then went to work at 9am.

Returned from work at 4pm. Cooker temp was at the same 275 as when I left it at 9am. Brisket came out great a couple hours later.

I've actually never tried a temp controller. Everyone who has them seems to love them. Also, I called home at one point and had my wife look at the cooker temp. Would have been cool if o could have seen that on my phone or whatever.

Wsms are incredible cookers.

An 18" WSM was my first smoker and I had good success initially on it but for some reason as time went on, I could not get the temps to come up and stay up even after setting up the coals and the vents the same way. I finally got fed up with it and got a PBC. I still own this WSM and a 14" but neither have been used in about three years.

Your price range definitely limits what you can buy that will hold quite a bit of meat unless you can find something used somewhere.

If you are happy with the WSM, getting the 22" one may be what you are looking for.

Wayne

Back