• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Brisket Smoke

TSGlover

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Today I am smoking a brisket for the first time. I got a 13 lb packer brisket from Costco (prime at $2.79/lb) and last night did a little trimming (maybe not enough?).

D00C3288-DCA5-4D29-823B-35CEC938CCA2_zpswzvvtfed.jpg

Here it is fat side up
89FA8E11-7786-427D-AE31-1AB9B05B2974_zpsdi6tligp.jpg

Here it is with rub - sorry a little blurry
18C88601-E6B7-4EA5-BD35-F1EBC11551CD_zpsyl2uer01.jpg

I used old no 2 brisket rub from texasbbqrub (never used before)

Put the brisket in the smoker (Cookshack elite) at 7:50 this morning and running it at 250 degrees. Now I get to wait for a while and keep my fingers crossed.... will post more as I get closer to done.

Looks real good from here.
Really as long as you trimmed out the hard fat, the rest will just come off after it's done.

That thing looks like it is super floppy. The loose grain of the flat looks promising too.

Looks like you got a good brisket.

I like Adkins Western Style Rub on brisket - it's out of Midlothian Tx ( just S of DFW). :thumb:

Hope cook goes well - looking forward to the results - remember cook till probe tender and that slightly overcooked tastes Way better than undercooked :biggrin1:

3:00 about 7 hours into smoke, the temp of the probe read 190 which seems a bit high this early in the process. Pulled out brisket to look at

2618D749-C866-4451-8BFB-89CE5DF1ACA9_zpsoi2izlw8.jpg

Juices captured so far
6CA4CD51-EA47-4C6D-A676-A2CBA1AD3AAD_zps77p9vnut.jpg

I tried to move thermometer around to see if could find a lower temperature but was unable to do so. I also pushed the probe into various parts of the brisket and I was getting a fair amount of resistance (not a butter feeling). At 2:00 I had increased the smoker temp to 300. I would expect I have at least another 3 hours to cook (13 lbs for 10 hours). just surprised at the probe temp.. Also, the brisket smells really good, making me hungry...

Last edited:
Failure! I ended up cooking it too long. The thin part of the flat was dry and stringy. I haven't tried the point end, but hope that it isn't nearly as dry as the flat. At 4:00 I noticed that the temp had gotten above 200 degrees but thought that maybe I didn't have the probe right so I kept it going until 5:15. I just thought that it would take longer than 9 hours to cook a 13 lb brisket, so I was more concerned with pulling it off too early.

Here is evidence of the overcook
07EBE43C-7322-4DE1-AB74-942C2E3DFC92_zpsmjgpnswq.jpg

Obviously I am disappointed, but I want to try it again and get it right.

That will make very fine chili, so I wouldn't call it a failure but rather an opportunity to make something else. As for over cooking, did you wrap it when you were cooking at 300?

Had you rested and cut across the grain i think you would have been happy.

User fail. ;)

Overcooked crumbles but is not Dry and tastes Good. Under cooked is Dry as the marbled Fat has not melted. You have to cut against - perpendicular to the grain or it'll shred.

You can chop or shred that up - put in pan with a lil Beef broth and BBQ sauce and put it in oven for 1-2 hrs at 250* and have some Good Sammiches or Taco or Chili meat.

Cook a Brisket till probe tender - not a IT Temp - IT can be anywhere from 195*-210*- every brisket will be a lil different.

I cut a corner of the flat off before smoking so I will know where to start my cuts after resting. Also let the Brisket Rest 1-2 hrs before cutting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Au0ZzbdMCao

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGAP1DG_Vs8

Back