MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Tough old man
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Reverse smoker. Pipe vs Steel Plate

I'm in the process of building a smoker. 72" x 22". During the build i have decided on a reverse flow. Problem is It has 2 doors with shelve frames already welded in. Be very hard to weld in a plate in the bottom now without doing it in sections.

So i came up with an idea and need your thoughts on it whether it would work or not. I'm planning on running a 6" id steel pipe from the firebox to about 6" from the end of the cooking chamber. Also I would have to buy the plate and I already having the steel pipe.

Question is whether this would work or not.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I would weld the plate in pieces. Or scrap the reverse flow idea and use tuning plates.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I've seen 6"-8" pipe with holes torched in it successfully used to distribute heat/smoke in a traditional offset and see no reason why it would not work in a reverse flow. I built mine with tuning plates sitting on 1" angle tacked to the inside wall. Here is a link showing & explaining mine:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=21
Buttburner posted a better picture, same basic idea.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...19&postcount=4
I think you could adapt this concept into 2-3 1/4" plates you could work in around the existing fabrication and weld in place or just let gravity do its thing. IMHO reverse flow, however you get there is the way to go.

If you already have pipe its probably worth a shot, but I'm a little concerned about getting enough flow with one 6" pipe, can you fit 2?

Last edited by dwfisk; 03-07-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Another thought
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Dave what is the silver equipment to the left of the smoker on your trailer? Another smoker?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
HUCKS
On the road to being a farker

i cooked beside a guy that had one built like that.it looked to be 6-7 inch pipe and he had no problems with it

Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
Hey Dave what is the silver equipment to the left of the smoker on your trailer? Another smoker?
Yea, its a 24" square SS gasser w/ceramic fabric insulation and 4 racks. Members Mark from Sams Club via China for about $400. Got it about 10-12 years ago and cooked a bunch of Q, but nothing as good as you get with wood. I put it on the trailer to use as an oven and warmer, but in a pinch it will smoke too.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough old man View Post
I'm in the process of building a smoker. 72" x 22". During the build i have decided on a reverse flow. Problem is It has 2 doors with shelve frames already welded in. Be very hard to weld in a plate in the bottom now without doing it in sections.

So i came up with an idea and need your thoughts on it whether it would work or not. I'm planning on running a 6" id steel pipe from the firebox to about 6" from the end of the cooking chamber. Also I would have to buy the plate and I already having the steel pipe.

Question is whether this would work or not.

I would get the grinder out and pull the shelves out temporarily. Love the reverse flow plate in mine. Cooks super even with a nice hot spot right over where the firebox is inside the tank. Great for Chrisping up the chicken.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
I would get the grinder out and pull the shelves out temporarily. Love the reverse flow plate in mine. Cooks super even with a nice hot spot right over where the firebox is inside the tank. Great for Chrisping up the chicken.
Sounds like the easiest and most quality way to go

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Without the baffel plate being in, I think you will miss the radiant heat you get off of the baffle plate itself which is a big part of the reverse flow process.
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
dkryzer
On the road to being a farker

Several years ago I faced this same exact issue and considered the pipe trick. I ended up welding in a baffle plate in pieces for this simple fact I wanted to make sure I had radiant heat. This ended up being a good decision. The pit performed great. I chalked it up as a lesson leaned and now build my pits the right way.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Tough old man

Crap I'd hate to have to grind them shelve frames out of there.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Tough old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
I've seen 6"-8" pipe with holes torched in it successfully used to distribute heat/smoke in a traditional offset and see no reason why it would not work in a reverse flow. I built mine with tuning plates sitting on 1" angle tacked to the inside wall. Here is a link showing & explaining mine:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=21
Buttburner posted a better picture, same basic idea.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...19&postcount=4
I think you could adapt this concept into 2-3 1/4" plates you could work in around the existing fabrication and weld in place or just let gravity do its thing. IMHO reverse flow, however you get there is the way to go.

If you already have pipe its probably worth a shot, but I'm a little concerned about getting enough flow with one 6" pipe, can you fit 2?
I looked at your pics. nice set up. Did you end up welding those plates together?

I could put in 2 6" pipes and drill holes in them all the way down starting with smaller holes going up if you think that would work. I know they wouldn't give off as much heat but will it be enough to do the trick.

I live in Baja, Mexico and everything you purchase is in full lengths meaning I would have to buy a 4' x 8' sheet of plating. LOL, I'm 70 yrs old 6' 255 lb weightlifter and stronger then a team of goats, but a 4 x 8 x 1/4" is not going to be the lightest to move around by yourself.....

Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
dwfisk

Thanks, it works great. I have found no need to weld them together. The sheared edges fit together tightly and by the time I got a couple cooks of dripping goodness, they sealed right up. When I want to separate them now, it takes a little screw driver action.

Drilling holes in the pipe would seem to defeat the reverse flow mod; when I've seen pipe with holes it was for a traditional offset stickburner in lieu of tuning plates, not reverse flow.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Tough old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Thanks, it works great. I have found no need to weld them together. The sheared edges fit together tightly and by the time I got a couple cooks of dripping goodness, they sealed right up. When I want to separate them now, it takes a little screw driver action.
Screw driver action.....LOL is that Vodka and OJ?

Ok let say i buy a sheet of plate steel. Would 3/16" work or does it need to be 1/4"?. Also how far from the end should i stop the plate steel. Again the smoker is 22" x 72".

Thanks for all coming to my rescue.

PT

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
dwfisk

IMO 3/16 will work fine. I stopped my plates about a foot from the end just cause it looked OK. Maybe TuscaloosaQ if following the thread and can weigh in, certainly more of an expert builder than me.