Competition Trailer Size

NRA4Life

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm planning to purchase a competition trailer sometime in the future and would like to know from your experience, is there an overall length size limit on the trailer or what you can bring and set up at a competition? Thanks for the help.

There is no limit other than it needs to be able to fit in the space you have paid for. I like to have a space large enough to fit both my truck and trailer in comfortably. I have a 8'x18' trailer fully self contained and a 3500 dodge dually. I like to pull the awning out too so I will usually get a extra size space. Also the size trailer I have is just about right for a full size kitchen with storage and pits. I have a FEC100 mounted inside and for now a Traeger 075. I have room and plans for a left handed FEC100 to mount inside too. Here are a couple pics as I was building it.

IMG00170.jpg

trailer003w.jpg

Jims019aw.jpg

trailer006w.jpg

trailer005w.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

It's more or less personal preference and budget. We build primarily 8.5X18-20's for comp teams. Most comps allow you to purchase more space if you go with a larger rig. Here's a couple we've done. the first is 8.5X18 the second is 8.5X20 both have 8' porches.
IMG_0040.JPG

100_1030-small.jpg

We're looking at getting one this year as well (been a long search) and like the idea of 7 or 8 x 16 - the biggest reason is this will keep the trailer at 20 ft in total length and able to be in most spaces. Even if we get squeezed down to a 20 x 20, we could get the trailer parked and have 10 x 20 to still cook on and setup.

I'm planning to purchase a competition trailer sometime in the future and would like to know from your experience, is there an overall length size limit on the trailer or what you can bring and set up at a competition? Thanks for the help.
Depends on what you want on the trailer. Do you want any living/sleeping space, bathroom? If so you're looking at overall with tongue of about 30'. You can do it with less. 8.5 feet vs. 8 or 7 is a big difference in space. Check out trailers that have been finished at each size and see how much even the 8: means for getting around. And ceiling 6.5 or 7 feet? another consideration.

Having one built as we speak. Went with 7x16 thought that would be good start and hopefully one day move to something larger. Great pics, I am looking for different ways to finish interior.

Border War - I saw one you might be interested in on craigslist this past week.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/1551695021.html - AC/breaker box and some sort of kitchenette already in there. It does have cargo doors but a ramp could easily be made.

NRA4Life
What would you be pulling your trailer with? I got a 8.5'x24' and it's about all my 3/4 Hemi can pull. If I were to do it again, I'd look for an 18-20' trailer. While it's nice to have the room in the 24' trailer, I know we would be fine in a smaller one - assuming it was still 8.5 wide. Ford's right, that extra width is definitely nice especially if you're putting tables on both sides.

We currenlty have a 8.5'x18' with a porch, picture is below. I like the size, but would like to have more room. Hard decision to balance size with cost on space. We pull ours with a f350 1 ton and have no problems. :)

What would you be pulling your trailer with? I got a 8.5'x24' and it's about all my 3/4 Hemi can pull. If I were to do it again, I'd look for an 18-20' trailer. While it's nice to have the room in the 24' trailer, I know we would be fine in a smaller one - assuming it was still 8.5 wide. Ford's right, that extra width is definitely nice especially if you're putting tables on both sides.
F250 Super Duty with a diesel is going to have lots of towing power for my new 26'. When I pull the 16' behind it now I can do 85 uphill in the foothills heading from Colorado down to New Mexico then over to Vegas. And I had lots of gas pedal left. No where near the 3400rpms I turn at max power. Ford's rule.

Every competition is different. YOur best bet is to contact the individual competitions directly (or at least look at a few competition applications) and ask them. Most common booth size is 10x10 and 20x20, although a lot of competitions do allow you to purchase more space (if they have room).

Just don't be one of those teams that tries to squeeze cookers, tents, truck & trailer on a 10 or 15 foot site. We had a bad experience with a neighboring team that parked their 25 foot RV across the back of a 20 foot site. It gave their friends the impression that their site was 25 feet wide and we had major issues all night long.

Don't forget to account for ramps and doors (especially if you have a rear door/ramp).

Size is just one consideration. Next is porch or not. Both have advantages. Also depends on where you are going to park it for security and the type of smoker you plan to use. Talk to everyone you can and see as many as you can before you make the plunge. Good luck and happy trails. :icon_cool

And don't forget to consider weight and pulling issues too.

Another thing to consider is if you want to vend in the future. Putting in a vending window after the fact is a pain. having one on the side with a rear ramp door means you need a lot more space for vending and believe me they charge way more than contests for space. A lot to be said for a back vending window but then there's a ramp door issue if you want one. And a back porch means any vending is out the side but at least you know your length in advance.

Thanks for all the great inputs, suggestions, and considerations. I'll be pulling it with a Toyota Tundra 5.7L so that shouldn't be too much problem. I'm looking at a trailer with the rear porch to put my smoker on, and future vending could be a possibility. Just wasn't sure about length of the trailer and I guess keeping it less than 20 feet would ensure I'd get into comps without an extra fee.

Check and see where I'm competing or vendingthis year and maybe you can make a weekend drive and see it. It's a little over 350 miles from Newark to Grand Rapids MI. I drove it more than a few times although I usually fles. Spent 13 months with OC at the R&D center and many days out at the plant in Newark.

Border War - I saw one you might be interested in on craigslist this past week.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/1551695021.html - AC/breaker box and some sort of kitchenette already in there. It does have cargo doors but a ramp could easily be made.

Bob, thanks for the tip on this trailer. What kind of ramp are people using on a trailer with cargo doors? Our smokers are 400 lbs each and will need a ramp that's at least 38" wide.

Bob, thanks for the tip on this trailer. What kind of ramp are people using on a trailer with cargo doors? Our smokers are 400 lbs each and will need a ramp that's at least 38" wide.

I haven't moved an SS-2, and I know it's lighter, but I wouldn't feel comfortable moving my SS-1 on anything other than a stock ramp. I used a pair of portable ramps to get it off a borrowed trailer when I picked it up and it was not fun.

I haven't moved an SS-2, and I know it's lighter, but I wouldn't feel comfortable moving my SS-1 on anything other than a stock ramp. I used a pair of portable ramps to get it off a borrowed trailer when I picked it up and it was not fun.

They're a fair amount lighter, but I'm agreeing with you on dual ramps. I've found some solid piece ramps that are aroudn 40" that might work if we go this route, just wish I could find 44-48 inches and solid mesh.

Back