• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

need a decent duel temp wireless thermometer

krshome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have used the digital thermometers form Lowes they worked ok but broke over time. I just bought a Maverick Redi Chek for x-mas used it twice and it stop transmitting. I emailed costumer service and the want more money to replace it (less than a month old). So is there a duel temp wireless digital thermometer that works. The redi chek concept was perfect but design and quality very bad. Edit: I bought the 73 model

Last edited:
Meathead has a few different ones reviewed on his site at Amazing ribs.com.

The maverick 732's have held up nicely for us over the last couple years. Have replaced a couple probes but figuring how often we use them not too bad. Ten comps last year plus a ton of catering work.

I think I screwed up I got the old Maverick 73. Is the 732 (new model) a lot better than the 73?

I think I screwed up I got the old Maverick 73. Is the 732 (new model) a lot better than the 73?
I have both. The 73 is the older model. High temperature on the cooker probe is 410º F. The 732 can go to 512º F and the probes are supposed to be OK up to a bit over 700º F. For smoking the ET-73 temperature ranges are probably adequate. I did some roasts that I wanted to start about 500º so I recently acquired the 732. The 732 is supposed to have better range as well but both work well enough for me.

I didn't compare other features as I don't normally use them.

Did you ever have a problem with the temp reading locking up? Mine will shows the temps for awhile then just freeze. I have too shut everything down and restart, then within a couple of minutes it will lockup again. I'm only 15-20 feet away shouldn't have a transmitting problem.

I vote, yes. The range is really good. My probes have held up very well. I do take care of them, though.

Did you ever have a problem with the temp reading locking up? Mine will shows the temps for awhile then just freeze. I have too shut everything down and restart, then within a couple of minutes it will lockup again. I'm only 15-20 feet away shouldn't have a transmitting problem.

Yep, this is one of the special features of the older Mavericks. You don't even need to pay extra for this. Mine does this when the transmitter and receiver are less than an inch apart. The receiver just reads the same steady temperature, even though the actual temperature continues to rise. The new ones apparently have this fixed, but I've heard bad reports about the probes.

I have a Maverick ET-732. After about 10 cooks, the pit probe failed and I had to buy a replacement. Otherwise it works fine.

Sent from my Android phone.

Be sure not to immerse your probes in water. Just wipe them clean with cleaner and a damp cloth. Also you need to avoid crushing the wires in the doors. Either of these will make short work of the probes. I put fresh batteries in both units for comps and long cooks and then finish the used batteries off in the tv remotes and misc toys for the kids and whatnot. Cheap insurance when you have a couple hundred bucks worth of meat on the smoker. Also most of the replace probes are pretty nice and come with 6ft cords. I use these to let me put the transmitters inside a plastic Tupperware container to keep the ice, snow, and rain off them. Yep mn weather. Don't like it? Wait five minutes and it will change. ;)

I'm loving my Maverick ET-732

Had to replace the probes because I goofed and crimped them badly in the cabinet door.

Back