Brisket

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I turned in the best brisket by far I ever turned in at a contest Sat and got crap for it with the judges. That's ok cause I know how good or at least how much better it was and I'm heading in the right direction with it at least. I used a 17 lb Wagyu (thanks restaurant friend) and made no adjustments to time or temp and cooked just the same as any other with one exception. I made my mind up to cook the dam thing till it was tender without punching a million holes in it with the termopen trying to see if it was done or not, so I cooked it from 12:30 till just before time to turn it in (didn't even go in the cambro). It would have fell apart and not been able to slice it had it cooked much more. I liked it a lot - they didn't.

What were your scores? What did they hammer you on?

a cook a few weeks ago yielded the most perfect "in your dreams" burnt ends and I felt they boosted my scores. I'm thinking I should have filled the box with slices this time and these BE's were not as good and may have had the opposite effect.

I think they liked it alot. Those are some pretty good scores. By your own assessment it was almost overcooked. All that seems to be seperating you from being at the top is for a couple of those judges to have given a 9 for tenderness. keith

I turned in the best brisket by far I ever turned in at a contest Sat and got crap for it with the judges. That's ok cause I know how good or at least how much better it was and I'm heading in the right direction with it at least. I used a 17 lb Wagyu (thanks restaurant friend) and made no adjustments to time or temp and cooked just the same as any other with one exception. I made my mind up to cook the dam thing till it was tender without punching a million holes in it with the termopen trying to see if it was done or not, so I cooked it from 12:30 till just before time to turn it in (didn't even go in the cambro). It would have fell apart and not been able to slice it had it cooked much more. I liked it a lot - they didn't.

I was thinking about this last night actually. If you probe too much are you risking drying out the brisket? Thats great you were happy with the turn in! Judge scores don't look too bad.

I was thinking about this last night actually. If you probe too much are you risking drying out the brisket? Thats great you were happy with the turn in! Judge scores don't look too bad.

I really don't know the answer there, but don't think it would as in my case the broth by that time is usually half way up on the meat and seems it would prevent that. I do plan to do a practice cook (there's that word again) before next year on any ole brisket where I plan to inject, rest overnight, jacaard it full of holes, season, and cook to see what effect Jacaard has.

I think they liked it alot. Those are some pretty good scores. By your own assessment it was almost overcooked. All that seems to be seperating you from being at the top is for a couple of those judges to have given a 9 for tenderness. keith

2 years ago his scores might have won a category, this year it is middle of the pack. 8's are the new 7.

:icon_shy
2 years ago his scores might have won a category, this year it is middle of the pack. 8's are the new 7.

Bring that brisket up to the northeast where we have the lowest average scores in the country, and let our cowboy judges have a go at it. :icon_shy

Last edited:
We finished ahead of you Chet with 167.9998. I thought our flavor was good as ever, could have been more tender.
41st out of 92 teams - Scores:
9 9 9
8 7 8
8 8 9
9 8 9
9 9 9
9 8 7
The eights in presentation were BS. Taste is always totally subjective, tenderness scores probably fair.

We finished ahead of you Chet with 167.9998. I thought our flavor was good as ever, could have been more tender.
41st out of 92 teams - Scores:
9 9 9
8 7 8
8 8 9
9 8 9
9 9 9
9 8 7
The eights in presentation were BS. Taste is always totally subjective, tenderness scores probably fair.

I generally do a lot better with presentation scores but was just not use to such a large brisket and also it was just my second one to cook whole rather than separate from the start and I didn't get it trimmed narrow enough to make the slices go in the box like they usually do. I will get better if I cook anymore which is up in the air as I'm getting a lil worn out with this comp cooking as age creeps up on me.

I know I don't get to cook at a lot of large KCBS cooks, but I really kind of like it. I also know that most of the cooks on this forum seem to cook KCBS. Living in the Panhandle of Texas, I reallly have access to both "Texas' cooking (IBCA and LSBS) and KCBS. In the Texas cooks, I don't have to cut down my brisket to fit a box or make any putting greens. I just slice it, wrap it around the box on the piece of foil and don't worry about it hurting my scores. That and the entry fees are what keeps me from going north a little ways. I know presentation is a fraction in KCBS, but if everything is now an 8 or 9, presentation means a lot more than it used to or should mean. That fraction becomes all important with 8's becoming the norm. Put it on a piece of foil and let them tell you how good it tastes and how tender it is...is it good BBQ? :hand:

The scores look great...there are two things that are within our control...appearance and texture...taste is always subjective. I poke my brisket 3 times with my thermapen...once before foiling...then right before pulling it...not so much looking for temp...but texture. Keep plugging away...you'll nail it soon! :thumb:

Back