***SPECIAL*** 2011 BBQ Brethren "Burger" Throwdown!!!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Oh, happy day! I am making this one a SPECIAL THROWDOWN!!!

Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Burgers!!!"[/size]
1252245_BobBrisket.jpg

BobBrisket's winning entry from last year's 2010 Burger Throwdown!

...as chosen by High Q, the winner of the Crepe Throwdown!

Please make sure you make a Burger. The term "Burger" can be rather loosely defined, much the same way it can be loosely ground. Last year, we had someone try and enter a farking Chicken Sammich of all farking things, and all farking hell broke loose resulting in the "Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010". I am hoping we do not have a repeat. So please don't enter any farking Chicken Sammiches!!! If you need a reference point, see here to last years Burger Throwdown thread...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82214

In case you need help knowing what the fark a farking burger is then you are probably a farking left-wing-liberal commie-pinko tree-huggin hemp-wearin camel-humpin climate-changin terrorist-kissin whale-savin Lenin-lovin Fidel-philanderin Che-shaggin PETA-partnerin lettuce-munchin meat-is-murderin vegan douchebag whose brain has succumbed to the transmissions of the super secret liberal cabal!

In that case, here is the definition of a "burger", as taken from Wikipedia, the foremost authority in all things food!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger

Please note that High Q has specifically requested that farking Chicken Sammiches are NOT allowed. In case you don't know what that is either, this is the definition of a Chicken Sammich from the world's foremost cooking authority, Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Sandwich

Because this is a category with such a long history on this site, and is very rich in lore and tradition, I am making this a SPECIAL Throwdown, and it will be open 1 week longer than normal. It will close on May 1st, which is May Day, which is also the international term used when airplanes are going down in flames and are calling for help. This seems very appropriate for this category after last year.

Because this one week extension will result in a week with no category chosen by a winner, someone needs to decide what that category will be. Please use the poll (to be posted soon) to indicate who you think should pick this category! This also means that because the winner of this Throwdown will NOT get to pick a category, which is tradition for Special Throwdowns. Instead, you will simply have the distinguished honor of being declared the winner of one of the few Special Throwdowns, and in this case a very special one, a farking BURGER Special Throwdown!

So, now that we have cleared that up and you farkers know EXACTLY what you can and can not do, LET'S GET IT ON!!!

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/15 through Sunday 5/1 (May Day...the irony is not lost on me).

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 5/1 (Mayday, mayday!).

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 5/2 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 5/6. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Mustard Throwdown until Sunday night 4/3 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Farking Mess Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Oh, one more thing, since this is a...

SPECIAL THROWDOWN...

You can make more than one entry. I realize that in the opening post, the link to the rules says in Rule #5 that only one photo from one dish will be used in the voting, but that is not the case here.

For this Throwdown, Rule #5 is suspended!

For this Special 2011 BBQ Brethren Burger Throwdown, you may make as many entries as you wish, but only one photo from each entry can be used for voting. Please let me know which photo you want me to put in the voting thread or else I will decide and my decision will be final.

I wonder how many different Dairy Queen logo's I am going to be looking for?

A hamburger (or burger for short) is a sandwich consisting of a cooked patty of ground meat (usually beef, but occasionally pork, turkey, or a combination of meats) usually placed inside a sliced bread roll. Hamburgers are often served with lettuce, bacon, tomato, onion, pickles, cheese and condiments such as mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup and relish. The hamburger has attained widespread popularity and has proliferated worldwide.
The term hamburger or burger can also be applied to the meat patty on its own, especially in the UK where the term "patty" is never used, although the term "hamburger" is rarely used in the Commonwealth countries unless referring to a menu item of an American restaurant.

I see nothing in the above precluding the use of chicken... :twisted:

There is nothing wrong with making a chicken burger any more than making a turkey burger, or a pork burger, or a mixture of pork and beef formed into a burger. The problem is the whole chicken sammich angle...which is a grey area larger than the one on Google Maps in southern Nevada (oops, I said too much, I hear the choppers).

There is nothing wrong with making a chicken burger any more than making a turkey burger, or a pork burger, or a mixture of pork and beef formed into a burger. The problem is the whole chicken sammich angle...which is a grey area larger than the one on Google Maps in southern Nevada (oops, I said too much, I hear the choppers).

There's nothing to see in Nevada. Keep moving. :spy: :alien: :lalala:

Wooo Hooo, first entry! I know if you're like me, you find the bun the weakest link in the entire hamburger thing. Basically, it is just something to hold the meat with, an edible plate, so to speak. That is why I really enjoy the sandwich "thins." The bread is kept to a bare minimum. Recently, my wonderful wife found these and knew they were made just for me! Mini-thins, what could be better?

IMG_7085.jpg

Of course I had to give them a try! I had to modify the shape of my burger just slightly to fit on the bun, but it wasn't too difficult. I actually began with a pound of ground pork goodness (pork is ok, right? :becky:) and smoked it for near 2 hours. Here is your basic one-pound cheeseburger (sharp cheddar) with lettuce and tomato slices. Pure basic goodness:

IMG_7076.jpg

Oh Joy!

Dang, I gotta admit it, that fork really pulls it together!

Back