KCBS Rules question.

KC Smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
According to the 2012 rules "Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking
or holding."
How are pellet cookers legal? Do the pellets supply enough heat themselves without any help after they're lit?

Yes.

Self sustaining real wood fire once the fire is lit.

Common thread.

TIM

According to the 2012 rules "Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking
or holding."
How are pellet cookers legal? Do the pellets supply enough heat themselves without any help after they're lit?

They should be outlawed, cheaten, knukle-dragging bastiges...

They should be outlawed, cheaten, knukle-dragging bastiges...

EDIT: (just figured out Bentey is a pellet guy too)

as a serious pellet head myself,

I'm getting a backwoods for comp use.:becky:

Last edited:
or holding."

Sorry I took the low road looking for a laugh when you asked a ligit question

They are legal because they only use the electricty to start the pellets to combust and then only to drive an auger, 1 to 2 fans and in some instances a digital control board. Well, actually they are legal because KCBS says they are.

The pellets Do Not supply enought heat with out the combustion fan and the controller, so if you feel that the use of the electricty for that purpose is in some way unfair you would have an argument. How valid an argument?

Really sorry I missed Smokin Mikes comments...

Really sorry I missed Smokin Mikes comments...

I'm sorry, I wished I didn't edit anything, only thing I deleted was "I don't think pellet smokers should be outlawed"

and,,,, figured out you was a pellet user too, off a another post.

This is a common discussion that shows up often. It's legal, and while we don't use a pellet cooker, it's OK IMHO.

As long as the rules allow it, we're OK with it.

Back