MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #31
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
When I first looked at this post, I thought who on earth makes this kind of purchase of knives blind, then I looked again that the I.D. and realized, oh, I know who.
As I just posted the purchase of a knife on line, I hate doing that, but out here in the boonies, we don't have any place to go check things out, another reason I went cheap. It sucks to not be able to check them out first hand, but sometimes you just got to go with the flow. I envy those that have that capability available to them.
Dave

Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was talking more to DMP there, he bought some pricey knives. I think you will like that Tosagata knife. I have always liked them. I consider them to be one of the best values in knives out there, far better than those Kiwi knives, which I dislike a lot. That Hitachi white steel is great stuff, takes an amazing edge and holds it. You will not be disappointed. The Tojiro knives that DMP bought are knives I have sorta kinda lusted after for a while now.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #33
Mo-Dave

Quote:
I was talking more to DMP there, he bought some pricey knives. I think you will like that Tosagata knife. I have always liked them. I consider them to be one of the best values in knives out there, far better than those Kiwi knives, which I dislike a lot. That Hitachi white steel is great stuff, takes an amazing edge and holds it. You will not be disappointed. The Tojiro knives that DMP bought are knives I have sorta kinda lusted after for a while now.
Yes it was not my intention to take away from your post to DMP, just wanted to air my frustration when it comes to not being able to hold something like this in my hand.

I have a large end grain board I really like, but my wife does not like it because is is very heavy, and takes up a lot of real estate on the counter, the bamboo was out so that is what I used.

I will see about the pics of my improvised Wicked Lansky but a cautionary warning, it ant going to be perty.
Dave

Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #34
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Bucc I already bought the 7 1/2 Satsuma knife-tosagata. It is a white steel base knife but I do not know of what quality.
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept....&dept_id=13198

On a different note, this should make some get a snicker. I went totally redneck by taking an old Lansky sharpening set and turned it into a makeshift Wicked Edge. If I can muster up some courage I may post a pic but I don't want to be a bad influence on others.
Dave~Post! Ya hafta!
Congratulations, job done!
As I said, that steel is really good steel and I think you will be pleased.
Hopefully the handle and feel will suit you and we have a winner.
I think it is a far better choice than the first knife you posted a link to!

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #35
Mo-Dave

Here is the Ugly Wicked Lansky, or UWL in forum speak. It does work but got to guess the original is a little better, hey pore people have pore ways., as my mom always liked to say. The heel on this knife needs work but I just wanted to show you it did happen.

I never cared for the Lansky in its original state, it just wobbled to much, this one is stable. Notice the can of practice knives in the background. I need a serrated knife file, as well as a good sharpening steel.
Dave

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1359683968

Other devices I use now and then.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1359685028
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image01312013165433.jpg (45.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Image01312013165526.jpg (42.0 KB, 95 views)

Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #36
Mad About Que
On the road to being a farker

i'll find out the brand, but i went to a "knife class" at the old mans house a couple months ago. for about $65 each, you can get stones that are 4x10 that will make you rethink the cool $$$ system. old mans got a fine and a medium. takes a little learning, but great results...and quick.

also 18 years as a chef/head pot scrubber, you need 2 knives. 6' utility and a 8" as heavy as you can stand chefs knife. I like the german stuff personally, great weight, holds the edge. but in my bbq box of sharp stuff all i've got is the white handled junk knives. that way if i loose one, who cares. if i need to sharpen one quick with a raker or whatever, again..who cares..

Quote:
Then that choice is obvious. Now, all you have to do is decide, do I want a really cool knife sharpening system, or not.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #37
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Congratulations, job done!
As I said, that steel is really good steel and I think you will be pleased.
Hopefully the handle and feel will suit you and we have a winner.
I think it is a far better choice than the first knife you posted a link to!

The handle and ferrule construction is a little worrisome. Wont know about hand fit until it comes. I have never had a ceramic steel sharpener, do you think it would be suitable for this kind of knife, or should I be looking at steels?
Dave

Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #38
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
The handle and ferrule construction is a little worrisome. Wont know about hand fit until it comes. I have never had a ceramic steel sharpener, do you think it would be suitable for this kind of knife, or should I be looking at steels?
Dave
I'd get a steel.
Drop the ceramic and there goes your money, and a idahone fine steel would be my choice if I went that way.
Want to point out that with the stone you have ordered, you don't need a steel if you don't want to outlay more bucks.
Don't use the belt sander on good steel.
The heat will do damage.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #39
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
I'd get a steel.
Drop the ceramic and there goes your money, and a idahone fine steel would be my choice if I went that way.
Want to point out that with the stone you have ordered, you don't need a steel if you don't want to outlay more bucks.
Don't use the belt sander on good steel.
The heat will do damage.
I have a 3 step pulley and belt on the motor, so I can get the speed very low, plus I reversed the motor to run backward, also keep a coffee can of water with it. It does not get used much these days, kind of why I wanted to simplify things with the stone. The stone and strop can stay upstairs, and all the other stuff in the basement of course.

I wandered if the stone would be all I needed, and I do have a leather strop mounted on a slab of wood. I am a little worried that I wont be able to hold a good angle so I also bought one of those knife guides, hopping my hand will learn the motion, and position without it eventually, a training tool if you will.
Dave

Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #40
buccaneer

Gotcha

Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #41
Mo-Dave

Just got my new stone, that was fast, considering it came from Japan, ordered it late Thursday, and just got it today. Still waiting on new knife it was also ordered on same day, but it is coming from a retailer in West Virginia USA. The directions were on the inside top of package, it started out saying this knife is very sharp, this confused me, so I quickly opened it up and found my stone, no mention of stone in direction, but not a problem. I have not tried it yet because all my knives are very sharp for now.
Dave

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Wh...esForSale.html

Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #42
Robicus129
Knows what a fatty is.

Good info in here. I have had Henckels Twin Selects (full block) for several years, dont think they make em anymore. They get the job done, few swipes across the steel and they are sharp. I like some of the other knives others have posted in here.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #43
landarc

For a Japanese knife, get a smooth steel, and it is not for sharpening at all. It is just for adjusting the edge. All you need is a couple of light swipe along each side of the edge before cutting. And for gawds sake, do not slap it on the steel like you see on t.v., just a smooth delicate swipe or two is all it takes.

Never us a grinder or belt sander. That stone will be all you need, unless you just want to be fancy.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #44
Mo-Dave

Default Update

Well life is good in my world, my stone came in yesterday, and my knife and guide today, while I was out picking up my new to me Bandera.

I have to say it is not a knife that will wow you with stunning beauty, my wife thinks I am nuts, nothing new about that. It is very sharp out of the box, and so far I like the grip and feel, it is much easier to use a claw or pinch grip because the the blade heel is set out a bit from the handle making it a more natural feel. Thanks for every ones advice here.
Dave

Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #45
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

The Tosogatas have a primative beauty that really grows on you once you start using them.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote