Mystery of the Lang 36" size...

ssuh

Reaction score
So, I recently got my hands on a great condition Lang 36" patio... I'm having lots of fun with it.

However, I kept thinking to myself, "this thing is sort of small. I wish it were bigger." Obviously, everyone thinks that about their cooker, right?

BUT-- I remembered the Lang website listed their main grate dimensions as "37" x 15." That should be plenty... but here's a head scratcher. The length of the main cooking chamber is 36." How can the cooking grates measure 37"???

Kind of a brain teaser, kind of deceptive advertising. Any guesses? If no one figures it out, I'll let you guys know this afternoon. Gotta run...

Probally 26-28"x 15-17" range if pullout. If not pull out guess they could be about 35" x 15-16-17"

I don't like 36" smokers. 42 minimum 48" even better.

Last edited:
Their website has been filled with incorrect or missing information for quite some time. Hopefully one of these days someone there does something.

Different cooking areas depending on whether it's a deluxe or regular? Doesn't seem right....18x30 or 15x37.

I agree the website is off. Here at my measurements. You can see the chamber is slightly largely than the racks.

Bottom depth

LqCDbKNg.jpg

Bottom Width

BQkiXl0g.jpg

Top Depth

HgYl5Sxg.jpg

Top width

76SUJiEg.jpg

Scale. These are aluminum half pans. Still room in between on top and next to the firebox on the right. Plus in the deluxe I can fit 3 more in the warmer.

niKwIpSg.jpg

STL-- you beat me to it!

Basically, Lang is right AND wrong.

Each grate measures approx 15" (across left to right) and 18.5" deep.

The problem is, Lang added these two identical grate measurements incorrectly.

Lang basically multiplied the Depth x 2 instead of the Width (left to right) x 2. 18.5 x 2 = 37. And that's how they got the mysterious 37" measurement. The REAL measurement of the bottom cooking grates should be 30" left to right and 18.5" deep.

Now being objective... this is a simple error. Also being objective, this is a HUUUGE error. What's the most important variable someone thinks about when purchasing a cooker-- SIZE MATTERS. I don't care if I'm cooking on propane, charcoal, wood, pellets, beetle dung, etc. None of it matters if my food doesn't fit in the cooker!

Now, honestly, does it matter to me? A little bit... I was under the impression that my cooker would give me 36" across. Not 30." In terms of percentage of inches across, it's a significant difference. I'm too tired to do the math... but it's a big difference. Instead of cooking 2 briskets comfortably, now it's just one... You get the idea...

C'mon, Lang. Get your act together. Some nitpicky bbq fanatics point fingers at your less than polished welds,etc... I don't care about that. But I do care about incorrect/critical information like cooking area... on your own website!

Last edited:
Lang 36 was a mighty fine cooker. I fell in love with how it cooked, but it was a tad small. When I found my Shirley, I pounced because I wanted a Shirley, wanted a 4-foot cooker chamber, and still wanted to stay RF. The 36 served me well for quite some time. Because Lang prices have crept higher, I do agree they need to step up their game a bit. I priced out a Lang 60 Deluxe Kitchen model and it came out to $5000 with shipping to Colorado. LSG seems better made for less money. Shirley is a WAY better value, it's just the wait that kills people.

This example clearly shows how a 24" deep smoker dramatically increases capacity.

Back